trailer question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a question as I cant seem to find the information I am looking for in regards to how trailers are measured.* I have a 4 wheeler which lists the overall length as 72 inches and width as 46.9.* In consideration of the space I have to store it a 6 x 8 trailer seems like it would be a perfect fit for 2 quads side by side with just a couple of inches to spare.* Would this measurement be unobstructed usable floor space or it is like a 2x4 where it isn’t either.*

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen a standard for measuring trailers. I have always assumed that the measurement is of the usable floor space. Most trailer ads I look at give demensions as to widest point, length overall, etc.

Best you actually look at and measure before you buy unless you can get exact dimensions from a remote seller. CB

Are the * marks decoration, or is meaning intended? Not criticizing, just trying to understand.

recon3117

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you would be better served by a 6x12 or larger if you want to put 2 ATV's on it, you may find you want to load other things on the trailer like ramps or an ice chest or two, maybe a accessory box for tools etc.
I was told by several reliable people that an ATV's plastic is better suited to meet the wind head on.

I have a 6X14 single axle and wish it was either a 6X16 or a 7X16 dual axle.
When I load up two large ATV's end to end on the 14 footer I have less then 8 inches at the end of the trailer.

YMMV

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to have a 6x10 that actually had those exact measurments on the inside of the bed, and I could get 2 wheelers on it. The wheeler on the front had to sit cross bed, while the one on the back was driven onto the trailer. The 72 in measurement on my wheeler was the wheelbase, from center of front wheels to center of rear wheels. So the wheeler itself was actually probably closer to 80" overall length. I have an Artic Cat 300 and one of those chinese 110 wheelers for the kids, but the Artic Cat would fit cross bed also, but you had to be real careful loading it and I had to modify the rails so they could be removed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom