Trailer towing guys......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trailer brakes are the key. You have capacity for everything else, just make sure you get a good controller and have the trailer brakes adjusted. I have towed a 24-foot race trailer with a 5k car in it with a 2003 1/2 ton and a 4.8. It can be done and safely, if you spec it all. For the record, I sold the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 so I can tow without struggling to the do the speed limit.

Also, trailer tires, even the good 10-plies, are rated for 60mph, not 75-80.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... he drives like a little old lady ... I'm guessing we are going to look at tires and toy haulers when he gets back on day shift ... :p The dogs and I are thrilled ... lol

Seriously though, we appreciate the info ... I'm a hard sell sometimes because I just want him to be safe on his way to the dunes to kill himself while hot-dogging n a 4-wheeler ... :wink2:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
255hp/330tq, 1/2 ton brakes, light tranny, 1/2 ton cooling system.... You can do it. It's going to absolutely suck. There is a difference in towing something home after buying it, to a shop, or some kind of rare occasion and taking it out on vacation for several days or a week. If you were going to Little Sahara for the weekend, fine. If you are going to see Yosemite or through Colorado, I'd plan on upgrading vehicles soon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your gas mileage will suck. Two reasons. The wind drag, and you have to stay out of overdrive. Don't know if that vehicle has an idiot light for tranny temps, but my Toyota does, and it starts flashing all the time if I stay in OD.
My favorite mechanic makes a living replacing transmissions from people that towed using OD. Since you have a towing package, you might have a bigger transmission cooler, but I'd sure check and keep that in mind.

Dune blasting is another of my hobbies. On a classic three wheeler.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gas mileage will suck period. With the 4.8, I got 6-7 mpgs. With the diesel in a 1-ton, we got 8. Hauling loads knocks you down hard, especially if it is a box trailer.

I am headed to ABQ over July 4th weekend with the big trailer, hauling a 66 vette. I will let you know how the 3/4-ton Chebby 6.0 liter does on the gas.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suggest going to a GM dealer and having them look at the data plate at the door and see what the weight capacities are for the Suburban. However, with that old of a truck, I'm not sure whether they will have the data or will have to contact the factory. As for owner's manuals, I'm leery of their information.

Shadowrider mentioned GVWR, which is the weight capacity of only the truck and its contents, including passengers, pets, fuel, and any cargo in the towing vehicle. What you want to find out on the Suburban is its GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicular Weight.) That will be the weight of both the tow vehicle and trailer with all people, pets, fuel and stuff in both the Suburban and trailer. That's a weight you don't want to exceed. I prefer to have a tow vehicle that has some "breathing room" on its weight capacities, but you have seen our trailer, so you know why.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to remember: The weight of the trailer must include all the things that you put into it. All the toys, water, food, etc. If you overload the trailer, you will wear out the suspension on the trailer well before you do any damage to the truck. I have been "there-done that". Most RV trailers have the bare minimum suspension for their weight rating. Depending on what you want to haul, be sure the trailer is rated for the weight.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm contemplating purchasing a toy hauler. My question is how do I know what the towing capacity of my vehicle is. I'm wanting to use my suburban....1999..5.7 motor...4L60e transmission....Gmail 10 bolt posi Trac with 3.73 gears factory tow pack with factory auxiliary oil and transmission coolers. The trailer hitch has a 5000# rating ( factory). I'm looking at a lightweight trailer 6100# pull behind ( not a 5th wheel). Any experience with a close type setup? Is the hitch the limiting factor?. It's a 1500 4 wd btw.

If you were just asking about towing a travel trailer with the suburban I would say, it may handle it OK. Couple things to consider. You said the trailer is 6K lbs or thereabouts. You then say your hitch is rated for 5K lbs. Right there your over loading the hitch. I bet you have a Class III hitch which is too light duty for your application. Your Sub is 16 years old with what is probably a fairly tired engine and tranny. The 10 bolt doesn't help at all as that is quite weak in the grand scheme of axles. Also, ones ever you load your toy hauler with camping gear, propane, luggage, any "toys" like quads or other motorcycles you will be far about the 6k lbs of the original trailer weight. You could be looking at close to 8k lbs. Terry had it right about the GCVWR of the suburban. Unless you GCVWR is 14k+ lbs or more I wouldn't do it.

Most 1/2 ton pickups today will easily tow 8k lbs but your 1/2 ton is much older. A weight distributing hitch will absolutely be required for towing if you attempt it. Not only can the vehicle tow the weight but can you stop effectively? Can you safely take evasive actions while traveling 55mph with that much weight behind you and not end up in a ditch or worse. You need to think of the safety of others on the road when you are pushing the limits of your tow rig.

Take your vin to the chevy dealer and have them run a VIN check. They should be able to pull up the original build sheet and it will tell you the trucks capacities.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with you on the strength of the 10-bolt axle. It is actually quite strong, being 8.5 inches. While it is not as strong as the 14-bolt you find in the 3/4 and 1-tons, it is the same axle used in today's 1/2-ton.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with you on the strength of the 10-bolt axle. It is actually quite strong, being 8.5 inches. While it is not as strong as the 14-bolt you find in the 3/4 and 1-tons, it is the same axle used in today's 1/2-ton.

Actually I'm not wrong. The 10 bolt is OK at best for a factory stock rig with factory sized tires. You have a16 year old 10 bolt with 3.73 gears and any kind of oversize tire or say, towing 8k lbs it is a ticking time bomb. The latest model of F150s use an 8.8 Heavy and 9.75" rear end depending on how the truck was spec'd. Ram 1500 uses the Chrysler 9.25". The only hing lower than the 10 bolt is the Dana 30 and there isn't much difference.

The 10bolt is probably not at the top of the list for potential issues with his tow setup but it can play a factor. Toy hauler trailer = camping out in the dirt, sand and off road areas. What happens if he gets stuck trying to pull into a remote dry camping area and starts to get a bit of a heavy foot trying not to get stuck. Boom goes the axle shaft or the RP. Chances are the shafts will go first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom