Training collars for dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a reasonably price, yet effective, electric training collar system for hunting dogs? Probably need something effective up to at least 250 yards, but everything seems way too expensive.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about the reasonably priced...

I have always had good luck with Tri-Tronics. The last one I had lasted almost ten years. I did have problems with it once, after 5 or 6 years of having it, but it had a lifetime warranty and I sent it in, a week later I had a new (probably newly refurbished) ecollar in hand. No complaints there. Out pheasant hunting once and the dog came back without her collar on, strangely enough the warranty did not cover that, so I had to buy a new one.

Second time I didn't want to spend as much, so I bought a SportDog. It was fair. Had some moisture issues it seemed, not sure if it had a bad seal on the receiver or what. Every time I called, I was promptly issued a replacement, but that happened two or three times.

Out of curiosity, what kind of hunting are you doing needing that kind of range, upland? I guess better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an innotek collar. Exact model escapes me right now.

Its water proof, 300 yd range. 7 stages of stimulation plus a good and bad tone button. The collar is thick with no fear of it tearing or breaking. I've had this one for 7 years now and it still works great.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about the reasonably priced...

I have always had good luck with Tri-Tronics. The last one I had lasted almost ten years. I did have problems with it once, after 5 or 6 years of having it, but it had a lifetime warranty and I sent it in, a week later I had a new (probably newly refurbished) ecollar in hand. No complaints there. Out pheasant hunting once and the dog came back without her collar on, strangely enough the warranty did not cover that, so I had to buy a new one.

Second time I didn't want to spend as much, so I bought a SportDog. It was fair. Had some moisture issues it seemed, not sure if it had a bad seal on the receiver or what. Every time I called, I was promptly issued a replacement, but that happened two or three times.

Out of curiosity, what kind of hunting are you doing needing that kind of range, upland? I guess better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

I actually really don't need that much range, but like you said, better to have it. Mostly waterfowling, so short range is fine, but I'm just thinking ahead...

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked my way through all the cheap ones then ended up biting the bullet and forking over the cash for a Tritronic. Nothing pisses me off worse than not being able to get my dogs attention. I've had to hit my shorthair at a quarter mile and she knew it. supposed to be good for a mile but I doubt any actually do that.
good rule is to get one rated at 3-4 times the range you think you need. Some engineer set that specification doing "field" testing on an asphalt lot that was flat as glass.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked my way through all the cheap ones then ended up biting the bullet and forking over the cash for a Tritronic. Nothing pisses me off worse than not being able to get my dogs attention. I've had to hit my shorthair at a quarter mile and she knew it. supposed to be good for a mile but I doubt any actually do that.
good rule is to get one rated at 3-4 times the range you think you need. Some engineer set that specification doing "field" testing on an asphalt lot that was flat as glass.

Same here. I tried a couple of cheapies, and ended up with the three dog tri-tronics controller. 1 1/4 mile LOS range.
Also controls the beeper collar that turns into a hawk scream when they go on point.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have professionally trained hunting dogs for the last 15 years....

I will say, Tri tronics is the best on the market! Further more, they stand behind their product!!!

I used to use and sell Inno-JUNK... and it is just that. Very unreliable! Their first generation product was pretty good....but went down hill fast from there. Once they wouldn't repair their screw ups for free I switched to TT!

But what you can afford.... but go for the best you can. And then go learn how to use it properly....They are a great tool if used right.

I have worked with more screwed up dogs that were shocked to hell instead of trained! They will screw up a dog fast in the wrong hands!

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom