Transmission Rebuilder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good shop to rebuild a transmission (1992 700R4) in the Tulsa area, without paying an arm and a leg. The parts to rebuild it are only a couple hundred bucks. There's no hard damage done to it, just a lot of miles and reverse is going away.

If I could find the few specialty tools needed I'd do it myself. Wish there was someplace that would rent those tools out.

I'll pull the transmission out and bring it to the shop and reinstall it when its done.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant help you being that your in Tulsa, but just because you have a trans that seems to work fine except a reverse problem, dont just assume you need a "cheap" rebuild. With high mileage comes wear and parts that might be close to worn out or breakage, I actually would not feel too confident if someone did a cheap rebuild. There are a few notorius things in a 700R4/4l60/4l60E that go bad eventually or because of wear and abuse. I hope whoever you choose knows these transmissions and they will address these weaknesses or at least present the upgrades to you. Not trying to condemn your trans or your choice of builder, just sayin... Good luck!

thecoffin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to drop the bomb on ya, with any auto trans when stuff goes wrong. It gets everything the the trans most the time. Ya you can fix the "one prob" this time for maybe $40 but then when the other items start to go out at 20 here 50 there it adds up quick. The 700 trans is common and mostly cheap to have rebuilt. A few things to add if the shop wont give you a XXXX amount of warranty don't even think about it. I am a mechanic but i hate working on trans work. Shops i trust are in ba, Builders transmission they are at main and kenosha and then Aspen Transmission at Elm and Elgin.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RJ Transmissions in Broken Arrow re-built mine, no problems since. Of course, I know Randall (the owner) so he gave me a really good deal on a complete re-build.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a guy that rebuilt my uncle's 700R4 for $350 out the door. He even went to the salvage a got a replacement case due to excessive wear on my uncles. He is off of Apache and Yale iirc. He is about 70 and builds them in his very complete and spotless shop in his back yard. He said he's been building them since the late 70s and seems very honest and trust worthy.

I did the R&R myself to help my uncle out. My uncles shifts great and he is very pleased. I found him on Craigslist. He gave us a good deal, he said his normal price is $450 which is still a steal in my book. I will try to track down his number if you are interested.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found his card. His name is Richard Price. 918.269.6844 @ Auto Transmissions 1538 N Delaware PL.

If I were you, I would call him and discuss. I was very hesitant because of the initial price, but after researching costs of the wear parts in the tranny, I think he is reasonably priced. You can get a complete rebuild kit for the wear parts for less than $150 for a good kit. Based on that, he only charged $200 in labor. And based on my discussions with him, he is very knowledgeable in the 700R4 transmission.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
350 sounds cheap and I kinda digg that its an older guy doing it out of his garage. he could probably do one in his sleep. My last rebuild I had Aspen do and if I remember correctly it was around 1500 which I was pleased with because I had to replace an entire planetary. and all I had to do was tow him the truck

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on only fixing the reverse problem. This transmission is actually newly rebuilt. The guy I bought the truck from two months ago got a trans for it from some 'mechanic' on ebay. It didn't shift into overdrive when I bought it (previous owner never realized this). First gear would rev to about 3500-4000rpms before it would shift into second, etc. It had the wrong tv cable in it, I replaced it with the right one from GM. I had to drop the valve body, it had too many check balls in it, then the overdrive valve was sticking so I replaced it with one that has a helper spring, checked the accumulators and governor. Now all forward gears shift great, nice and firm and at the right time/rpm/load. But reverse started to shudder and now will barely backup.

I want an overhaul done right. But I don't want to pay $1000 when the parts are only a couple hundred and I'm pulling it and putting it back in myself.

DPI: Thanks. I'll give him a call. I used to have an old guy like that, old drag racer who was a master with recurving distributors, carbs, mechanical fuel injection (built his own) and transmissions. He doesn't do it anymore.

LIL e

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a buddy of mine that does trannies. He's in Clarmore but comes to Tulsa alot. Give him a call

Kimbro 857-4951 tell him "E" told you to call

Latest posts

Top Bottom