Trapping, 2023-2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys just shoot them with a pistol after catching a coon by your feeder? Wasn’t sure if they would effect your deer hunting. I need to set some traps out myself as they are eating all my corn.
Whatever firearm is at hand. I've used my mouse gun in .380 to an AR.They don't bother the deer as they eat side by side. What we are after is more protecting the ground nesting birds in the spring by eliminating the population as much as possible. Yes they eat up the corn, but their long-term damage is with the birds like turkey, quail, pheasant, and other ground nesters.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever seen a coyote come after a coon. I've put cams on carcasses several times. They just rot into the ground.
Not sure whats happening. Went from 15-20 coons at the feeder the past several years to only 1-2 at most this year. Only difference I really see is the number of coyotes, they have exploded in numbers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure whats happening. Went from 15-20 coons at the feeder the past several years to only 1-2 at most this year. Only difference I really see is the number of coyotes, they have exploded in numbers.
Hopefully the coyotes are taking them out, but at the same time they are decimating the small game population. It seems to be the cycle. Some years lots of small game and not many predators. Other years its exactly the opposite.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They'll kill them in a trap but I've never seen them eat a carcass.
We are fixing to see if coyotes kill this one.

IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom