trout fishing in Arkansas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After deer season I am wanting to try fly fishing over in Arkansas like the White river or something. My questions are, Is there any good areas over there that you can do some wading or do you have to use a boat? Are there any places that you'all would recommend to fish? Good places to camp or rent cabins? any other info that would be helpful?
Thanks in advance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't cheap, but Gastons Resort on the white below Bull Shoals is an awesome place. ESPN outdoors has filmed there several times. They have their own landing strip for planes, and a Michelin 3 star restaurant on the property.
The fishing can be done wading, or by boat. Guides are available. There are dozens of other places that are more reasonable that can be found with a google search.
Another great place is the white below Norfolk lake. Same situation, with lots of resorts to choose from.
If I remember right, (and I'm not sure of the order) but at one time the white river below these lakes held the world records for rainbow, and browns.

Word of caution. When we stayed at Gastons, we couldn't hear the siren at the dam that announces a water release. I was wading and didn't know how fast the water can come up. I was extremely lucky to have got out of there without having to swim, or much worse.
A trout fisherman from Ponca died over there several years ago after getting caught in rising waters.

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always had good luck below beaver lake have stayed at spider creek several times and really like it. The dam store is a good place for fishing info it's right by spider creek. Lots of places to wade. Don't get discouraged if they start running water I found a spot that had a current break and still caught a good limit last year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always had good luck below beaver lake have stayed at spider creek several times and really like it. The dam store is a good place for fishing info it's right by spider creek. Lots of places to wade. Don't get discouraged if they start running water I found a spot that had a current break and still caught a good limit last year.

Forgot about the area below beaver.
We rented a canoe from one of the places, and did a 12 mile float, fishing along the way. Stayed in Eureka Springs.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife and I go to the Rainbow Drive resort (Cotter, AR) about once a year. It's on the White River and whether or not you can go wading depends entirely upon the Corps of Engineers and how much water they let through the dam.

Bobber Down

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai840.photobucket.com_albums_zz322_LCry_2010_Trout_20Fishing_100_0680.jpg

ai840.photobucket.com_albums_zz322_LCry_2010_Trout_20Fishing_100_0708.jpg

We went to Rainbow Drive Resort 12 miles below Bull Shoals in July. We caught mostly rainbows but caught a few nice browns.In 3 days we caught over 200 fish,most were released except the ones that got cooked at camp.Wading right at the camp when the generators were off and in a boat and drifting when they were on.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that about them letting out water. I am very cautious of that even in OK. I about got in trouble at the lower illinois when I thought I had plenty of time. Will never make that mistake again! From what research I have done it looks like there will be some good places to wade as long as they are not letting out water. I am thinking of going on a road trip just to learn more about the areas. It looks like a guide might be a good investment at least for the first time.

Fid

Marksman
Reaction score
Gene's Trout Resort (http://www.norfork.com/genes/). I have been going here yearly for almost 20 years, always a great experience. They are located on the North Fork River flowing out of the Norfolk Lake. It's a short river that flows into the White, it's only about 5-6 miles but it's beautiful and the fishing is great. We don't fly fish, we hire guides, drink beer, and fish with ultralights but I think they can accomodate flyfishermen too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom