Trump seeks to update retirement rules, help Americans save more

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
President Trump signed an executive order on Friday that will affect how you save for retirement.

The White House said the measure – which directs the Treasury and Labor Department to consider issuing regulations or guidelines – will look at updating the rules on required minimum distributions for retirement plans, in an effort to allow retirees to stash away more money in their accounts for a longer period of time.

Under current law, retirees are required to begin withdrawing funds from their retirement accounts when they turn 70.5.

Trump is also asking the administration to look into ways to make work-based retirement programs more affordable for small businesses, in order to increase the number of those businesses that offer

One potential measure, for example, would be to allow small businesses to band together to offer joint plans.

According to the administration, only 53 percent of businesses with fewer than 100 employees offer workplace retirement plans, compared with nearly 90 percent of businesses with more than 100 workers that do so.

In addition to reducing costs as a pathway for more small businesses to offer plans, the order directs the agencies to look at ways to reduce bureaucratic barriers.

The president is expected to sign the order in Charlotte, North Carolina, Friday afternoon.

Retirement has been a focal point for Trump this week: On Thursday, the president took to Twitter to comment on the stock market, and how continued over performance could lead to a bump in retirement account balances Opens a New Window. .

The news from the Financial Markets is even better than anticipated. For all of you that have made a fortune in the markets, or seen your 401k’s rise beyond your wildest expectations, more good news is coming!

The administration has said it wants to help more Americans save: As of May, more than 20 percent Opens a New Window. of Americans had no cash stashed away for retirement. The administration hopes it can help change that with its second round of tax legislation, which Republican leaders have said they have begun working on.

It remains unclear exactly what Republicans plan to do with that bill to help more Americans stash away a larger percentage of their income, but Rep. Kenny Marchant, R-Texas, told The Wall Street Journal that a universal savings account could be included. Contributions to a universal savings account would be taxed, but earnings would grow tax-free and would be easier to withdraw than a traditional 401(k) or other retirement account.

Further, the bill could aim to make it easier to use health savings accounts, an account where an individual contributes pretax dollars for the explicit purpose of spending those funds on future medical expenses.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm out of the 401K system now and into the retirement payout for what we made in the past, but today is a great time to be in the market.
Before I left the power plant to retire I told the new young replacements right out of college to invest heavily. Unbelievably had two of the 5 decline the 11% matching free money the company offered saying they wanted their money now, not later.
No amount of convincing about lower tax rates, etc would convince them the error of their ways.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm out of the 401K system now and into the retirement payout for what we made in the past, but today is a great time to be in the market.
Before I left the power plant to retire I told the new young replacements right out of college to invest heavily. Unbelievably had two of the 5 decline the 11% matching free money the company offered saying they wanted their money now, not later.
No amount of convincing about lower tax rates, etc would convince them the error of their ways.
I can’t beleive anyone would pass on an 11% match. That is insane.

Most people just don’t understand the concept of compounding returns or don’t have the patience to wait. Everybody has heard that it takes money to make money but I guess they don’t know how to apply that to retirement.

If someone invests, by contributing to a retirement whether it’s a 401k or Ira or something else, especially with the free matching, there’s a point where the money invested over the years will start earning more than what is being contributed each year. It just takes a few years to get to this point and the trick is to never borrow against your retirement money.

Say your investment balance is below on the left and the right number is the annual return at 8% which is low for a stock market index fund like the S&P index fund.

100,000 - 8,000
200,000 - 16,000
300,000 - 24,000
500,000 - 40,000
1,000,000 - 80,000

Or say you earn the stock market average of 12%:
100,000 - 12,000
200,000 - 24,000
300,000 - 36,000
500,000 - 60,000
1,000,000 - 120,000

Then you compound those returns and that’s where you really start earning more.
Year 1 - 1,000,000 - 120,000= 1,120,000
Year 2 - 1,120,000 - 134,400=1,254,400
Year 3 - 1,254,400 - 150,528=1,404,928
Year 4 - 1,404,928 - 168,592=1,573,519

It will take years to get to the million dollars. You get there by consistent investing and patience.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t believe anyone would pass on an 11% match. That is insane.
It will take years to get to the million dollars. You get there by consistent investing and patience.
My self and others just couldn't believe it either. No matter how much we tried to convince them that it was a winning deal, they wouldn't listen.
I need to elaborate on the 11% match. They matched 6% of our 401K.
They had a pension program that they did away with because they could see where it was going to be unfunded.
Instead of just doing away with the pension program that paid for all medical after 30 years, with partial medical after 20, they elected to start a program where 5% of our gross pay went into an investment program that they matched and invested to provide medical coverage if retiring early.
Since I retired early at 62 and wasn't eligible for the previous pension program by 2 weeks, I had my medical covered until hitting medicare.
Pretty sweet deal.
OG&E really takes care of their employees.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to be able to get SS when I am 65. Now I have to wait until I am almost 70. By the time I am that old there probably won’t even be SS anymore. I have a 401K and a profit sharing plan plus stock awards do my retirement is good. My wife also has a good 401K. I got in with my company right after they did away with normal pensions. But I am thankful for the retirement I have. I just wish I didn’t have to wait so long to take my money out. When can my wife and I take our 401K money out without being penalized? We have a long time but I was curious.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to be able to get SS when I am 65. Now I have to wait until I am almost 70. By the time I am that old there probably won’t even be SS anymore. I have a 401K and a profit sharing plan plus stock awards do my retirement is good. My wife also has a good 401K. I got in with my company right after they did away with normal pensions. But I am thankful for the retirement I have. I just wish I didn’t have to wait so long to take my money out. When can my wife and I take our 401K money out without being penalized? We have a long time but I was curious.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetn...cash-early-without-a-10-penalty/#113515c33f4c

If you retire after age 55 and take a distribution of some or all of your 401(k) plan, the amount you take will be subject to income tax. But you won't have to pay the early distribution tax.

The age-55 rule applies only to qualified employer plans (like 401(k) plans). And, being a legal rule, it comes with a number of flummoxing exceptions. For example, if you took a distribution and rolled it over into an IRA first, you're stuck and must wait until you are 59 1/2 -- unless some other exception applies in your specific plan.

And if you were to retire and leave your money in your former employer's 401(k), the terms of the employer plan might preempt the federal rule. For example, the plan might require you to wait until you reach a specific age -- 62 or 65 are common cutoffs. Or some plans give an option to take a distribution once a year.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/question-if-i-retire-after-55-28075.html
To find out the exact rules, check with your plan administrator.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is it that the Washington Crime Syndicate couldn't think of us in a similar fashion over the decades and it took Trump to help the working stiffs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom