Tulsa's new Gathering Place Park to ban guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if it's private, how is that different from any other private business with a no-gun sign?
It's not a problem unless you're asked to leave, you don't, and the police arrive.

Am I missing something?

No, it isn't any different.

The point is, if it is a PUBLIC park, they shouldn't even be allowed to go that far, putting up signs, that is. If it is a public park, all permitted carry should be allowed, including open carry.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do go, please try to present a good image of gun owners.

I plan on carrying an AR on one shoulder, an AK on the other and a bunch of "assault pistols" in my belt.........that should present a good image of gun owners!

Give me a break......I'm not some cowboy wannabe.....if I chose to visit and carry while there it will be concealed like I always carry.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on carrying an AR on one shoulder, an AK on the other and a bunch of "assault pistols" in my belt.........that should present a good image of gun owners!

Give me a break......I'm not some cowboy wannabe.....if I chose to visit and carry while there it will be concealed like I always carry.
A true redneck would be pushing a wheelbarrow full of ammo too !!

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago the big park in Bethany (Lions?) had no gun signs. I wrote the city (can't remember who) and pointed out the problem.
They replied something like they would go by state law, blah blah.
I kept a copy of that in my car for a long time, haven't been to that park in years.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid if there is a big stink about it, they'll just get the legislature to pass an amendment to state law to make it a prohibited place, like they did the fairgrounds, right? "It's for the children," right? Kaiser spent a half billion dollars on this thing, then endowed another $100 million for upkeep - you think there isn't enough influence to pressure our legislature to make this park a prohibited place?

The more I think about it, the more I see the likelihood, given how anti-gun rabid liberals can be. And when they have billions to throw around... I'm afraid I don't trust our legislature in Oklahoma enough to stand on principle, especially when they've already caved to special interests in exactly this way once before.

As I stated, my kind isn't welcome there. So I won't spend my time or money there. It really is that simple.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And to be more clear the City put in $65Mil. in tax payers funds to make the park possible...
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gat...cle_ff226ee3-5916-50ba-981f-6ffb9452af6f.html

The Gathering Place LLC which has leased the park also wants free water/sewer services from the city at taxpayer's expense...
"The foundation has also requested that TMUA provide free non-irrigation water and sanitary and storm-water services for the park in perpetuity."
https://www.tulsaworld.com/newshome...cle_f3ad9f3a-8ceb-5bce-ae1e-fbcb9782a321.html

And if the deal is the same as the one made for the pedestrian bridge while Gathering Place takes care of routine maintenance will the city still pays for any capital improvements, would that also include repairs?
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loc...cle_116c8908-de12-5e2e-801a-a64c8b99730a.html

It's wonderful to think theses people donated money for this but lets remember they'll take tax deductions for it which means less tax money for other stuff, this brings to mind something said in the original article in the other thread...“private citizens getting to decide which ‘common good’ ideas get funded is a worrisome trend.” Remember the idea behind this is to benefit unity and the poor kids in North Tulsa so why didn't they invest their generosity there where those kids are? Maybe because it's questionable as to whether you can run an entertainment venue there which is a lot of what this is going to be with concerts, rentals, a restaurant and other food vendors etc.

Kind of looks like it's costing the taxpayer's a lot to put a private corp. in control of a "public space" and allowing them to curtail the public's legal right to carry.

Another interesting question, since it belongs to River Parks but is leased out who is responsible for liabilities where booze will be sold to people who might get into the rented boats or climb on stuff that looks like it might not be allowed in public parks or school playgrounds for safety/injury reasons?
That's what I meant by many others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and kid are going there today for a pro skateboarding thing at noon. I can't make it since I have to work, but she wants me to come up after to see some band at 5. I don't think I can take it... I know it's going to be crazy CRAZY packed, and I can't stand being in places like that. I am going to tell her to make sure to take her XD in her purse, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom