Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is embarrassing to admit, but I’m being outsmarted by three jakes. I found them earlier this week, and I’ve been watching and hoping for a Tom to show up close by. I don’t think a Tom is in the area because I’m only seeing the three jakes and one hen. I decided to try and get one of them so I set up yesterday morning around dusk. I was within a couple hundred yards of them still on their roost. We talked back and forth for about 30 minutes, and I felt pretty confident that I was going to be pulling the trigger within minutes. I never saw them! I’m thinking that the hen led them deeper into the woods instead of the wheat field which is where I’ve been seeing them. If I don’t post a pic of one these dang birds within a few days, I’m considering selling my hunting gear and taking up bird watching.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is embarrassing to admit, but I’m being outsmarted by three jakes. I found them earlier this week, and I’ve been watching and hoping for a Tom to show up close by. I don’t think a Tom is in the area because I’m only seeing the three jakes and one hen. I decided to try and get one of them so I set up yesterday morning around dusk. I was within a couple hundred yards of them still on their roost. We talked back and forth for about 30 minutes, and I felt pretty confident that I was going to be pulling the trigger within minutes. I never saw them! I’m thinking that the hen led them deeper into the woods instead of the wheat field which is where I’ve been seeing them. If I don’t post a pic of one these dang birds within a few days, I’m considering selling my hunting gear and taking up bird watching.
Don't think I want your call but what shotgun ya got? J/K.......hang in there!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kansas just announced no fall turkey season this year, and reduced limits for units and also there will now be limited numbers of NR tags per units for next spring season 24'. They're going through the same thing we are .
Not good to hear that. I hope the biologists can figure out what is happening.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kansas just announced no fall turkey season this year, and reduced limits for units and also there will now be limited numbers of NR tags per units for next spring season 24'. They're going through the same thing we are .
I recently got on a turkey hunting message board to try to get a little education (which might be a good idea for @OkieJoe72), and the guys on there (from multiple states) are all twisted up about out of staters getting tags. Kansas may be starting a trend.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I recently got on a turkey hunting message board to try to get a little education (which might be a good idea for @OkieJoe72), and the guys on there (from multiple states) are all twisted up about out of staters getting tags. Kansas may be starting a trend.
Oklahoma was forever and not sure if it still is, the number destination in the nation for a Rio. Not sure if that's taken it's toll or not. If you look at the turkey controlled hunts from last year, the only location that had any success at all was MCAAP. So the only property that has limited to no access year around yielded 40 birds iirc, while all the other hunts combined on the WMA's only resulted in a couple birds total. I know a guy who went on the Little River controlled hunt this last week, and there's not been a turkey killed there since 2017.........

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma was forever and not sure if it still is, the number destination in the nation for a Rio. Not sure if that's taken it's toll or not. If you look at the turkey controlled hunts from last year, the only location that had any success at all was MCAAP. So the only property that has limited to no access year around yielded 40 birds iirc, while all the other hunts combined on the WMA's only resulted in a couple birds total. I know a guy who went on the Little River controlled hunt this last week, and there's not been a turkey killed there since 2017.........
So, if the success rates are so poor or nonexistent, why would the state keep putting on turkey control hunts at those locations? It seems like a waste of time and resources. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom