Turkey Day Deer Rifle Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and we're back home - with our middle-room looking like an explosion of hunting gear since everything is laying around drying under fans.

Man, my youngest and Father-in-Law were ok in the blind, but my oldest and I were in that tree-stand and got soaked (apparently, the 78% chance of Precip yesterday meant hot and sunny, where as the 22% chance today meant monsoon and sleet pelting our butts until we gave up and had to get the heck out of the woods).

Miserable start to Thanksgiving - I absolutely cannot stand Oklahoma meteorologists - they might as well all be politicians.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went hunting today and 2 miles south of my land, in a wheat field I finally seen a buck chasing a doe. Two does in fact! After I reached my land I hung a new stand I've been wanting to hang. I put my 10 year old boy in it and then used my climber. We sat from 2pm till dark and didn't see anything except for the ginormus raccoon that I shot with my bow.

You do realize that raccoons are considered a furbearer and the season does not open until Dec???

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard a few shots this morning, I had a small 6 walk by me this morning other than that I didnt see anything, Swapped cards in the camera. Nothing during daylight hours. Tis is turning out to be a crappy rifle season. Im heading down to Duncan in the morning, hoping for better luck hunting the smaller deer down south

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to go out, but have been every day, all day since last friday, and decided to take a day off and visit with family. Big dinner scheduled later this afternoon.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I was ok with I've pellets but when out turned to rain at ft. gibson I walked out. All my gear is soaked got to get out dry for deer camp this weekend.

Yeah - I don't mind hunting in the rain, but up in that stand with the 26 degree wind-chill, it sure started getting cold in a hurry.

The sleet was actually a welcome change as it wasn't soaking us, but when it started bouncing off of tree-limbs and the stand and hitting me in the face, it kind of sucked.

I've got a good pic of my son clutching my Noveske as its covered from end to end with frozen rain-water

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man it was cold this morning. Pulled into the property around 5am. quickly decided the tree stand was out. unexposed north facing stand. I would have said screw it after just a few minutes. Setup in a blind and man I was glad I did that. a bit of sleet rolled through. Nothing much but the winds were insane. kept the windows shut on the north wall of the blind till the sun was up. That made it much much much colder in the blind. toes were very cold. Thank you Under Armor, pants, shirt, insulated bibs, coat, neck garter, stocking cap. Could have used some goggles for the cold ride to the blind.

My reward for getting out in the cold temps was absolutely nothing. had an hour to blow before shooting time. Could not sleep, just to cold. We pulled early filled feeders and changed batteries. A few strategicly placed mineral blocks and we were off.

Wind will be much calmer tomorrow morning. I'll be back in the blind or stand. Probably blind. And again on Saturday morning. At this point I'll settle for just seeing a deer. Doesn't even have to be a shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom