Turkey Day Deer Rifle Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's everyone's plan tomorrow?

I've been contemplating getting up at the butt-crack of dawn or just waiting until around 7:30AM / 8:00AM due to the warm-weather/wind/moon being here until around 3:00AM when it starts to drop down to 46 degrees (where I hunt in Morris). I've got two boys and a father-in-law that are all willing to get out there in the cold with me, but I'm not sure what my plan is yet.

Anyone got any guesses as to what this half-warm / half cold, full-moon / storm-rolling-in, tornado-warning, first-cold-weather-worth-a-crap-for-deer-hunting-in-this-area weather is going to do to the deer?

I went out this afternoon/evening and toughed out the wind/heat to see absolutely no activity at all.

My son spooked a deer yesterday just getting in the stand at 2:30PM (I didn't expect to see anything at that time and I didn't tell him to be as quiet as he should have been). Didn't even see if it was a doe or buck, it just started blowing at us and took off (it was behind us where we hadn't seen much of any activity prior to yesterday and sure enough, Murphy's law was in effect that day).

My other son spooked a doe and young buck on Sat evening trying to get a shot at them, so I'm starting to get concerned that too much of our activity in the area is going to cause them to move to another area from being spooked too much.

I dunno - but I'm definitely going out tomorrow one way or another.

I noticed that since about Sunday, the deer haven't been touching the corn I dumped near my feeder (or the corn that my feeder has been spitting out).

They've been eating the crap out of it up until then, so I'm figuring its either my traveling through that area that's bothering them (the two areas where I hunt are setup so that my first spot is by the feeder, and my second spot requires me to walk through this area to get to my tree-stand), or the heat/full-moon/wind.

I've got several fields of soy beans, peanuts, hay, etc... nearby, so its not like the deer don't have alternative food sources, but they still have been hitting the corn up until the last few days - then I notice that I've got very few pics of them eating the corn and all nocturnal.

I get that they would be there at night because of the moon/temps/wind, but I don't get why they would be eating less and less unless they're more comfortable with eating out of the local fields instead because of the warmer temps/moon and the full-moon at night making it easier for them to travel farther to get there instead of just hanging around my feeder? I don't know.

Anywho - what's everyone else's plans for tomorrow?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I am heading to ft. gibson wma area around 5am, according to weather underground right now 80% chance of ice pellets at 6am.

At least cloud cover will have that bright moon blocked out and the temps should have them up and moving.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sleeping in...

Will be back at them this weekend!

Good luck and stay warm! Its crazy how much colder it gets when the wind hits you in a stand! I may invest in a blind next year!

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iwould think the deer wouldn't move much with the front rolling in, but most of the time what I expect is not what happens. Good luck if you go out hunting and dress warm. I have a friend I am taking out this weekend to see if he can get his first deer.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rain is already coming in here. Looking at the weather is like watching the stock market on a day when the Feds are bailing someone out - its changing every few mins so I've given up on knowing what its actually going to do tomorrow - we'll just dress appropriately and see how things go.

I'm almost considering wearing waders if things are as nasty as they are looking. We'll probably get an inch or so of rain if it keeps up like its going now.

We got a little quick-setup blind that we're planning on setting up in a brushy area by my feeder, so it will get my father-in-law and youngest son out of the rain/wind, but my oldest and I are going to be in the stand toughing it out (I knew I should have gotten a make-shift cover on it by now).

I really wish I had picked up that set of Frog Togs in camo from Academy when they went on clearance last year.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been hunting quite a bit so I'm gonna take the day of to eat with my family.

I went hunting today and 2 miles south of my land, in a wheat field I finally seen a buck chasing a doe. Two does in fact! After I reached my land I hung a new stand I've been wanting to hang. I put my 10 year old boy in it and then used my climber. We sat from 2pm till dark and didn't see anything except for the ginormus raccoon that I cold have shot with my bow. I guess the deer are moving mid-day.

As far as in the morning, I think the deer will have to be moving to eat. They have to eat to stay warm and have any energy.

Good luck all and happy turkey day!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I almost forgot - I got a buck grunt call that I'm going to try (I'm still seeing evidence of bucks chasing does on my cams - and hopefully this warm weather slowed down Rut long enough that its still going in my area for at least a few more days) as well as some buck urine (my Primos "The Can" hasn't been drawing them in, so this buck call and some YouTube practice tonight has been my preparation for tomorrows attempt).

Latest posts

Top Bottom