Turkey Hunting Mentor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone going turkey hunting next month (specifically archery, as I don't own a shotgun) might consider taking on an apprentice. I've never been turkey hunting before and would like to learn from those who have gone before me, so to speak :)

On a related topic, does anyone in Central Oklahoma have recommendations on good public areas for a beginner? Lexington is the closest WMA to me, but from my research it doesn't appear to hold a large population of turkeys.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkey hunting isn't that difficult. (bagging one is a different story though :D )

If no one close to you can help, I suggest getting a couple of good DVDs from Bass Pro, a couple of basic calls like a box call and a slate call, and practice, practice, practice. Mouth calls are more difficult to learn, but it can be done. Quaker makes a basic mouth call, I think it's the Super D or something like that. Also get a locator call. Most people use a crow call or a owl hooter. I've seen toms gobble back at live coyote howls and barks. Suicidal maybe, but they do it.

I use box calls and slate calls for long range calling. Once a bird is getting close, I then use the mouth calls for soft purrs and soft yelps to bring them on it.

Remember, turkeys usually won't cross obstacles. So if you locate a tom gobbling, but doesn't seem to be heading your way, ease toward him and see if there is a creek or fense or something that he won't cross. Get on the same side of that obstacle that he is on.

Also, remember in hilly terrain, turkeys will respond uphill better than downhill. The reason for this is, if they encounter danger, it's easier for them to turn downhill and take flight, than it it is to retreat up a hill.

Also, set up in shadows. It's harder for them to see minor movements if you're in the shadows with some brush in front of you. Just make sure you have two or three shooting lanes. I like to use a small blind (nothing but camo netting stretched between poles) to sit behind, with my back to a tree.

Finally, safety. Completely camo out. Gloves, hat, facemask, etc. Do not use any color clothing with red, black, blue, or white in it. This includes your socks of your pants tend to ride up when sitting. And don't move if another hunter approaches you. Just yell out in a clear voice that you're there. Movement can sometimes attract lead. Not a good ending.

Good luck!

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lexington has a large population of turkeys, but there are tons of folks that hunt there. Black kettle is an awesome place. 100s of different sections to hunt and a large population of birds. Ill try to find a link to some good maps of the area

im at work so if i forget to post the link send me a pm

Latest posts

Top Bottom