Two Airmen killed at Vance AFB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The T-38 is supposed to be replaced with the T-7A in 2023.

First training death at Vance since 2000. 800-1000 landings per day. The two Talons were landing when the one went inverted and didn't recover.
I wasn’t just referring to deaths in Oklahoma but as a military as a whole. Thanks for posting those statistics though. I didn’t know that.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

First training death at Vance since 2000. 800-1000 landings per day. The two Talons were landing when the one went inverted and didn't recover.
IMQKHPMDERFKTKR7COSU6YLU2Q.jpg

Nice lookin jet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Wonder if it was equipment related or pilot related vertigo which is not uncommon. The brain says the instruments aren’t correct and the brain wins typically.
We will find out.
Never realized there was that much activity on take offs and landings daily.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is that it was a formation landing, in which the T38's are apparently, somewhat notorious to handle, a tire failure on the lead which lead the wing to attempt to avoid. No specific knowledge just web references. Prayers to the family's.....

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if it was equipment related or pilot related vertigo which is not uncommon. The brain says the instruments aren’t correct and the brain wins typically.
We will find out.
Never realized there was that much activity on take offs and landings daily.

Highly unlikely. Formation landing, and they were very nearly on the ground, or it could have even happened at touchdown. At that point, it is all up to the pilot and they are at very close clearance. A catastrophic failure of some sort is possible (flight control cables do break on occasion, though not very often). A blown tire is also possible. A sudden wind gust is possible, but also unlikely. Whatever the exact circumstances, it appears to me that they clipped wingtips for whatever reason. The T-38 responds very quickly to all inputs, and they were probably upside down and in contact with the ground before they had any prayer of responding.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom