TX Hog/Axis/Turkey Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went down to TX last week an met up with an old college buddy for a little spring hunting. Right near Center Point, TX which is just south of Fredricksburg in the hill country of Texas.

Our hunting camp on the 900 acre ranch we had to hunt. Beautiful ranch with hogs, deer, turkey, and several species of free ranging exotics.
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_camp3.jpg

Couple of views out the front door.
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_view7.jpg

[Broken External Image]

My buddy Steve scored early on the first morning with this hog his first ever. Field dressed about 100lbs.
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_Hog11.jpg

Next was my turn with my first ever Axis deer.
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_ChrisAxis.jpg

When we showed up that evening with my deer Steve had something else already on the ground!
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_Hog23.jpg

Next couple of days were pretty slow, but did manage to find some interesting things. Like this black vulture nest that was in an old hunting blind.
[Broken External Image]

Eggs were about the size of a turkey's egg.
[Broken External Image]

Finally on day 3 we managed to score a turkey for my TX buddy, Derek. It was only a jake but he was super pumped as it was his first ever. Having only turkey hunted the hill country once before I forgot what a pain the fences are there. A turkey hunters nightmare! Every fence is either A.) high fence B.) goat wire or C.) an 8 strand barb wire fence whereby their are 3 strands up top followed by 5 strands of wire on the bottom 24 inches of post! Those Texans are serious about keeping their livestock/wildlife on their side of the fence. I literally called 2 mature toms from the neighbors property right up to the goat wire where the hogs had been sliding under, but you know turkeys. No matter what I did they wouldn't cross on to our property! This guy came slipping in behind silent after a few hours.
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_turkey17.jpg

On the last morning Steve scored his first ever Axis and the trip was complete.
awww.hunt101.com_data_500_steveaxis.jpg

awww.hunt101.com_data_500_skinning.jpg

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Free. My buddy has the place leased with a group of co-workers, all I had to do was show up.

On a side note, you ever see me with hogs and you can rest assured I didn't pay for them. I REFUSE to pay for a hog hunt. I have ethical issues with that regarding conservation, but thats another story.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! You guys look like you did really, really well! I'm heading to Rocksprings TX this week to hunt exotic escapees... ;)

How was illegal foot traffic? We always seem to jump a group trying to move their way through this time of year before it gets to hot. Also, we always see adhoc Border Patrol checkpoints. Always gets a laugh when the Agents checkout out our suppressed weaponry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom