Type of stand for public land deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey all,

New to deer hunting, long time duck hunter. I live in North central OK, I bought a climbing stand b/c I figured I would need to haul it in and out everytime I hunt b/c I only have access to public land. However, I never can seem to find a tree that is uniform enough to climb! Seems like my hunting spot is more dictated by the perfect tree as opposed to the perfect spot. I'm realizing a climber would be much more suitable down in SE OK. My question is this...what kind of stand/blind do those of you who hunt public land like to use? BTW, I'm bow hunting if that matters. Thanks for the advice.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I prefer bow hunting from a tree definately, usually with a climber. It allows to see further and you can make a little more movement without being seen as much. I do hunt from ground blinds which are nice also, but I think you have the upper hand in a tree. I carry a folding saw with me for troubling branches that get in my way. I have also carried in hang on stands and left them up for the weekend. I just HATE using screw in steps!

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are on the same train of thought. I love my climber, but hate the crooked trees. My plan this year it to pick up a few ladder stands from walmart when tgey go clearance and put one up out on public land after gun season. I hope most folks will have a deer in the freezer by then and the weather will be cold enough to run some off also. Im hoping i can safely put up a stand without anyone seeing it. Even if it does get stolen it will be a 40 ladderstand.

Of course this plan depends upon me catching the stands on clearance

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use hang on stands and take them down when I get done hunting. I seldom go to public land though unless I am camping a few days and am going to be hunting the stand every day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't hunted public in a few years, but one can take a ladder stand, strap it on a cart, and pull it in. If you take a deer, you have a way to get it out as well, vs dragging.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you put a stand on public land, rather it is a ladder or hang on, use a treestand lock. Makes it a lot tougher to steal. I put a lock on every stand I hang even on leased land.

Fid

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I agree about the tree vs. ground blind. I have a ground blind too but really don't like the lack of visibility. I guess I'll just keep looking for those telephone pole trees:)

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a ground blind in the past when I head out to public land. If I didn't have other private land to hunt, I would definitely just put up a couple cheap hang on stands and lock them up. You could also remove the last couple tree steps near the ground when you're done hunting to help deter anyone from get

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how a person could hunt public land without a climber or portable ground blind. I bought a Wal-Mart ladder stand this year and took it back the same day. Ain't no way in hell i'm going to try and pack one of those in when a climber is availible. I can ususally find a good tree that doesn't require too much pruning work to climb 20 feet or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom