Type of stand for public land deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you put a stand on public land, rather it is a ladder or hang on, use a treestand lock. Makes it a lot tougher to steal. I put a lock on every stand I hang even on leased land.

This is the way to go. I have even seen tree stands with chains and padlocks on them. But I have also seen them missing the next day with the chain cut and laying on the ground. Best bet is to buy a cheap one or a used one and hope no one wants to take the time to take it. If it's a nice one and someone wants it they will get it unless you camp in it all night of course. Lol

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
Be very versatile and pack light. Your probably going to own one of everything (treestand, ground blind) hunting public land. Just dont limit yourself by what type of stand you own.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've lost 1 ladder stand which I had taken apart & thought I had hidden it pretty good but the next weekend I went there it was gone. Also lost a portable stand which I had removed the 3 bottom steps from the tree.

So having learned my lessons. I now carry a portable stand & strap on steps or a ground blind (if I'm not going to still hunt) but they come home with me when I leave each night.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
i have a summit climber and a portable blind i use . i do not leave them on public land as they will walk off.but since i'm hunting on my cousins place again i leave the blind up all season. i also use a chain and lock on my climber. i put a 55gal trash bag over it to keep it dry then cover it with leaves and brush just in case someone stumbles on to it. where i'm hunting now noone ever ventures that far back into the roughs. they don't like the blackjacks and steep mountains.the avatar pic is one that i have been chasing for the last 3 years and he is even bigger this year.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom