Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point, but people have been surviving in above ground shelters for a very long time. I would rather have one outside, dont want to leave a vehicle out to get damaged in the event that the tornado comes and doesnt hit the house.

Don't know if I agree with that logic...people have been surviving rattlesnake bites and bullet wounds for a very long time - but that doesn't make it safe.

If an F4/F5 actually hits you, your best place is underground.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if I agree with that logic...people have been surviving rattlesnake bites and bullet wounds for a very long time - but that doesn't make it safe.

If an F4/F5 actually hits you, your best place is underground.

+1. And traditionally, Hidey Holes have always been underground. The above ground stuff is a relatively recent development....not sure where the 'very long time' comes from.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a below ground, outside shelter. Slated front with metal steps going into it. I paid $2000 for ti about 6 years ago, if memory serves me correct. 4 steps out the back door and there I am. One of the best preparedness things you can do for your self and family.
Frankly I dont know why a shelter or safe room is not code for new construction with any house or mobile home. The .gov already has building codes which have to be met, to the point where they tell us what kind of toilet you can put in a house. So why not something that can save lives in these weather events? As much as I hate the .gov getting involved in our lives, I think it makes perfect sense. The cost of the units could be figured into the cost of the house, and would be minor.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point, but people have been surviving in above ground shelters for a very long time. I would rather have one outside, dont want to leave a vehicle out to get damaged in the event that the tornado comes and doesnt hit the house.

As I said sure is better then nothing but being underground is night and day to above. Pun intended.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just found out that one of my friends in high-school, 16 y.o. daughter was one of the victims killed in this weeks tornado. Although a shelter would not have saved her, I am here to tell everyone on this board. If you don't have a home shelter, sell everything you have that is not necessary for your existence and get one. Boats, 4 wheelers, cycle, classic cars, yes even your extra firearms and get the cash you need to keep your family safe at home.

Also, drill into your families head the importance of being aware of any storm in Oklahoma. They can and do turn deadly in an instant.

It's your duty as a husband and father....

Now do it!

May 24, 2011 Tornado Victims
R.I.P.

•Miranda Nycole Bishard, 16, of Helena
•Austin Hall, 22, of Enid
•Terry Peoples, 50, of Woodward
•Don Wesley Krug, 71, of Hooker
•Joan Krug, 67, of Hooker
•Sharon Dodd, 58, of Cashion
•Billy Leeper, 64, of Cashion
•Ryan Hamil, 3, of Piedmont
•Cole Hamil, 15 months, of Piedmont
•Laron Short, 24, of Chickasha

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and the kids were in it last week, we had fun, and had snacks, Daddy was not the least bit nervous. We had the garage door cracked about 3 inches... the mist would blast my 2 kids faces, as they were looking under the garge door at the wind and rain, with their eyes pooed up just above the shelter line. I evern opened the door all the way and inspected my Accords axle boots! We had Travis Meyer with us too on the portable TV... No price on having a piece of mind... and when it got bad, we shut the door, and had nilla wafers, and capri suns! Was one of the many great moments I have spent with my children.
one word of advice... put your cat in a kennel.. them dudes will NOT go down there... that was pretty funny... WRREOOOWWWW!!!!! HISSSS

www.flatsafe.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom