Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can they put the underground shelter in a floor with post tension slab?

can, but if they cut a cable it voids your warranty. Did your builder form out a place in the garage floor for a shelter, then backfill it with concrete? We do post tension slabs in our homes, and this is how we know for sure where to put a shelter for our owner, or later they can and not cut a cable.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me buying a shelter is very similar to buying a safe or RSC. The below ground shelters are comparative to a TL rated safe were a above ground shelter is like buying a RSC. False sense of security IMO with the above ground shelters. Tornados throw more then 2x4's, those videos of wood being shot at the above ground shelter seems so pointless. Drive a truck into a above ground shelter and see what happens or shoot a 10000 pound tree at 80 plus mph. Sure they are better then nothing but given the option I see no reason not to go underground.

Ground zero and flatsafe both make great products, personally still leaning toward the flatsafe. DYIing the shelter is not a great idea, most of the manufactures will not honor a warranty unless they have installed it.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point, but people have been surviving in above ground shelters for a very long time. I would rather have one outside, dont want to leave a vehicle out to get damaged in the event that the tornado comes and doesnt hit the house.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont they position the shelter entrance, to where you dont pull your car out? Thats at least how it appeared to me. Having a car above it also acts as a buffer from falling roofs and anything else on its way down. I really would like to get one, have to own a home first. Im getting married this october and these storms are making me second guess living in an apartment.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont they position the shelter entrance, to where you dont pull your car out? Thats at least how it appeared to me. Having a car above it also acts as a buffer from falling roofs and anything else on its way down. I really would like to get one, have to own a home first. Im getting married this october and these storms are making me second guess living in an apartment.

If I had one installed, I would have to remove a vehicle to access it. My vehicles are wide enough, and garage narrow and short enough, that if both vehicles are in the garage no car doors can be opened. I have to crawl out a window on top of the other car to get out (I really need a sliding back glass in the truck!).

So the positioning of the shelter has a lot of variables involved that may or may not require you to move a car to use it.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and the wife were ready to run out and scratch a hole in the garage floor with our bare hands when that second siren went off last night. I'm better today though. The leftover Xanax I had stashed away helped a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom