Underrated SHTF Items

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my blowgun! I try to hit fiddleback spiders every time I see one! Im not a very good shot though, my husband is great with it. Gotta have my carmex! I think under rated stuff would be alot of comfort items, coffee, candy, games etc. I know people 200 years ago didn't have it but it sure would be a nice treat if the world went to hell. BB is right lotion and personal lubricant you can go as gutter as you want LOL :naughty:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'going gutter' is what some of us do best.

Funny how this thread goes so well with "Naked and Afraid". Some of those so-called survival experts have found out just how ill-prepared they and we are.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'going gutter' is what some of us do best.

Funny how this thread goes so well with "Naked and Afraid". Some of those so-called survival experts have found out just how ill-prepared they and we are.

It's just like anything else where most of the most ate up folks are the "experts" in their field, what kills me is out of all the preppers I talk to about 98% of them have a sorry off the self first aid/medical kit and they don't even know how to use most of the stuff in there. Or they just focus on allergy meds and other non-essential non-lifesaving items I don't expect everyone to be a medic but damn people learn some stuff that could save a loved ones life, I spent about 2 hours one night talking to some survivalists trying to convince them that 50% of their group needs to learn how to do stitches the proper way and that they should have suture kits they looked at me like I was growing an arm out of my forehead.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...what kills me is out of all the preppers I talk to about 98% of them have a sorry off the self first aid/medical kit and they don't even know how to use most of the stuff in there. Or they just focus on allergy meds and other non-essential non-lifesaving items I don't expect everyone to be a medic but damn people learn some stuff that could save a loved ones life..

An equal 90ish% don't focus on the most important and cheapest prepping item available...physical fitness.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just like anything else where most of the most ate up folks are the "experts" in their field, what kills me is out of all the preppers I talk to about 98% of them have a sorry off the self first aid/medical kit and they don't even know how to use most of the stuff in there. Or they just focus on allergy meds and other non-essential non-lifesaving items I don't expect everyone to be a medic but damn people learn some stuff that could save a loved ones life, I spent about 2 hours one night talking to some survivalists trying to convince them that 50% of their group needs to learn how to do stitches the proper way and that they should have suture kits they looked at me like I was growing an arm out of my forehead.

Butterflies and super glue will quite often suffice. Stitching up a wound in the field isn't always the most appropriate way to treat lacerations. It looks cool on Rambo but if you don't have the wound properly cleaned out you'll do more harm then good.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Butterflies and super glue will quite often suffice. Stitching up a wound in the field isn't always the most appropriate way to treat lacerations. It looks cool on Rambo but if you don't have the wound properly cleaned out you'll do more harm then good.

I am not talking about in the field every time someone gets a cut, a number of folks talk about prepping long term for when the SHTF and they don't learn anything other than some basic first-aid. They don't learn what needs a butterfly and what needs stitches or staples and super glue is great for a lot of cuts but if applied the wrong way to the wrong kind of cut you are not doing yourself any favors.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rat traps tethered to a tree by paracord... Big rat traps baited will catch and kill animals up to and a little bigger than opossums, raccoons, fox etc. Trapping food is easier than hunting it, and rat traps are about as light and humain as it gets. Also if your near a river or lake same concept with yoyo reels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom