Uniforming Primer Pocket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious how many people uniform the primer pocket during brass prep. I didn't until recently and have not noticed any problems with semi-auto pistol rounds. I would typically get a hard to seat primer every now and then on the press when loading mixed brass.

I recently got a revolver that has tight tolerances for primers not seated deep enough. Therefore, I've started uniforming the primer pockets during brass prep for both revolvers and semi-autos. I was surprised to discover how much difference there was in the primer pockets for different types of brass. Speer and Federal brass seem to be very uniform requiring little to no cutting. Winchester, on the other hand, seems to require a lot of cutting. I'm using an RCBS Case Prep Center for the work.

Anybody else uniform the primer pockets? If so, are you experiencing significant differences between different types of brass?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed a difference in primer pockets over the years. It will feel different when seating but always goes boom. Never have sized any of them.
I've heard that folks are seeing crimped 9mm rounds on the range.
Probably military or foreign stuff.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
I uniform primer pockets once when I first start prepping brass for one of my bolt guns. I don't do it from there on out. I have noticed that some of the higher end brass (Norma, Nosler) is more uniform (including primer pockets) than some of the more common brass. I would not bother with the primer pockets for pistol though.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All rifle brass gets worked over expect my plinking 223 which is just trimmed to length if need be. Now 9mm gust gets loaded even if it is a crimped primer pocket. The only thing on 9mm I care about is wether it is split.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uniforming primer pockets AND flash holes should be a must for precision rifle (unless you're loading Norma brass as mentioned above). For pistol, I wouldn't bother.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uniforming primer pockets AND flash holes should be a must for precision rifle (unless you're loading Norma brass as mentioned above). For pistol, I wouldn't bother.

Definitely for precision guns. I tend to do it on my 9mm, especially on certain brands of brass, but I get a little overly anal about it. Probably not necessary on pistols unless there's a problem like I had with one brand of brass.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the primers too. I've read other threads where some brands of primers a slightly different size than others. As far as uniforming, I check to see if the pockets need swaging, if not, I don't worry about it.

Last edited:

pbcaster45

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I uniform primer pockets for my M1A - for safety not accuracy. It's got a floating firing pin and it's just extra insurance against the dreaded slam-fire. I've never done it for my AR15s though...

Latest posts

Top Bottom