Unmarked police cars in Tulsa…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think poor infrastructure and substantial increases in construction zones have any correlation to the increase in fatalities? At least one of those fatalities was directly contributed to the deplorable road condition.

Tulsa seems to have a very big problem with road maintenance. ;(

To your point, they have a race to bottom mentality with contractor awards. Hence, poor risk controls, etc.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
169 to I-244 would be ODOT’s ballpark, not Tulsa’s. You can cuss Tulsa for working on south Yale, 81st, and south Memorial at the same time, but the highways aren’t their fault. (The Memorial job may be ODOT’s, too, as I think the bulk of the work now is for the new Memorial/Creek Turnpike interchange.)

FWIW, Tulsa highways have had garbage ramps for as long as I can remember. Kinda makes you wonder if someone at ODOT has it in for Tulsa.
IMO, it’s irrelevant who’s officially “responsible”. They’re both irresponsible and we pay far too much in taxes for them to ignore the problem until lives are lost. It’s bad enough all the money we lose in fuel and excess pollution due to the traffic jams, but people dying because the roads are bloody awful is too much.

I had to file a $3,500 insurance claim ($500 deductible) because of concrete “splash” hitting my car from the HWY 11 bridge over N. Memorial Rd. When I took photos for the insurance company, there was a plate sized hole straight through the bridge and you could see Memorial Rd. through the hole.

We’re talking about the primary access point to the Tulsa International Airport terminal. The place where everyone flying in and out of Tulsa has to drive/ride. It’s a disgrace and don’t even get me started on Young Ave. where a lot of people who work in and around the airport have to drive. They don’t have any interest or intention to resurface it. :(

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, it’s irrelevant who’s officially “responsible”. They’re both irresponsible and we pay far too much in taxes for them to ignore the problem until lives are lost. It’s bad enough all the money we lose in fuel and excess pollution due to the traffic jams, but people dying because the roads are bloody awful is too much.

I had to file a $3,500 insurance claim ($500 deductible) because of concrete “splash” hitting my car from the HWY 11 bridge over N. Memorial Rd. When I took photos for the insurance company, there was a plate sized hole straight through the bridge and you could see Memorial Rd. through the hole.

We’re talking about the primary access point to the Tulsa International Airport terminal. The place where everyone flying in and out of Tulsa has to drive/ride. It’s a disgrace and don’t even get me started on Young Ave. where a lot of people who work in and around the airport have to drive. They don’t have any interest or intention to resurface it. :(
1694724576806.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d like to see the majority of police cars on the street be dressed in a high day and night visibility paint scheme. I think whoever is making the decisions has gotten way too enamored with police cars that are low visibility.
One year I visited Washington D.C. All of the police cars were required to have their emergency lights on at all times when on patrol. Some liberal chief's idea of safety. It caused more complaints and confusion and accidents in a three month period than normal and was terminated quickly.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the unmarked traffic car program in Tulsa was something I wrote up in 2005. We were seeing an increase in fatalities and serious injury collisions. It was two dangerous to sit on any highway and get out safely to get the violator.

I requested duel antenna radars to allow readings from vehicles approaching from the rear since we were removing the grass medians we could only get same direction violations.

I asked for unmarked units to blend in with traffic. The traffic unit concentrates on hazardous moving violations and this allowed us to observe the violations such as cutting in and out of traffic with out signaling, tailgating and road rage issues.

We could also sit in neighborhoods were we had frequent calls for speed and stop sign violations. We saw a significant reduction in fatalities and serious collisions after starting the program city wide. However in the last few years traffic fatalities have really increased due to speed and inattentive driving, last year Tulsa had 70 traffic fatalities which is way up from 30-40 we used to have.

Other than school zones most speed stops are 15 mph or higher with many being 20 plus over the posted limit. We do not have the man power to do effective enforcement. The unmarked units also work all the collisions when they are out allowing patrol officers to concentrate on their calls and crimes.
Good job and good reasoning. Stay safe sir.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Oh, I don’t disagree at all with that. Traffic control in Tulsa is…not awesome, which, IMHO, contributes quite a bit to the crazy-assed drivers we have. They have sensors at the intersections, but they apparently don’t use them, and the bias on their arterial intersections just leaves me wondering if their programming is about 90 degrees out—it’s not uncommon to see traffic stopped on one of the arterial roads while absolutely nobody is going through on the cross street (I’m looking at you, 91st and Yale).

What’s worse is that the lights for the side streets in front of St. Francis will be stop six lanes of traffic on Yale for nobody at all on those side streets during the morning rush. Every. Damn. Morning.

Don’t even get me started on the lights at 61st and 169. Those are just dumb.

I mean, I know that managing traffic on a network the size of Tulsa is not an easy job, but there has to be a more efficient way of keeping traffic flowing.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, last time I saw this much "bootlicker" name calling and disrespect for law enforcement was when antifa was in town. What gives?
People always get their panties in a wad when the Po Po uses a different tactic to enforce the traffic laws violaters think do not apply to them. Just drive northbound between 3pm and 6 pm on US 169 in Tulsa and US 235 Broadway Extension in OKC. If you aren't traveling at 75 to 80 in a 65 MPH zone you will be run over.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, last time I saw this much "bootlicker" name calling and disrespect for law enforcement was when antifa was in town. What gives?
Funny, I don’t see what you’re seeing. I see people disagreeing with a TACTIC, not LE or traffic enforcement in general. In fact, what I see are people who support the TACTIC, name calling, accusing those who disagree with said tactic of being lawbreakers and engaging in dishonest debate tactics such as reductio ad absurdum.

Mind the plank there friend! ;)

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
because we are a "On Time " society,something that needs to be reduced by eliminating penalties or fines or late fees for being "late",and at the workplace too...people driving crazy to get to work on time so they dont get "docked" a 1$ a hour from their pay,for 3 months.
I hope you are being humorous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom