Unmarked police cars in Tulsa…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retired po-po here.

I despised unmarked traffic cars. Unmarked cars are necessary, but traffic enforcement and normal patrol should be with marked cars.

If for no other reason, community trust. Unmarked cars disrupt that trust.

DUI was my specialty. Traffic enforcement is just fine with marked cars.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday on 169 near 61st Street S, I passed a medium blue SUV with hidden emergency lights going, parked behind a victim on the shoulder. Probably doing traffic enforcement.

This morning, also on 169, I passed a black SUV, also with hidden emergency lights activated, parked behind another victim on the shoulder. Neither SUV was marked in any way.

Who made the decision to allow TPD (at least, I assume that’s who it was, though neither vehicle showed it) to use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement? I think it’s a despicable, sneaky, underhanded stunt which can only damage the image of the department. I’m all for the use of unmarked vehicles for homicide investigations, drugs, child trafficking, and other such duties, but not for traffic enforcement. Use clearly marked cars for that. So who made the decision, does anyone know?

They've been doing it for a LONG time. At least 25+ years that I can remember.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retired po-po here.

I despised unmarked traffic cars. Unmarked cars are necessary, but traffic enforcement and normal patrol should be with marked cars.

Well said, and thank you for your service

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday on 169 near 61st Street S, I passed a medium blue SUV with hidden emergency lights going, parked behind a victim on the shoulder. Probably doing traffic enforcement.

This morning, also on 169, I passed a black SUV, also with hidden emergency lights activated, parked behind another victim on the shoulder. Neither SUV was marked in any way.

Who made the decision to allow TPD (at least, I assume that’s who it was, though neither vehicle showed it) to use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement? I think it’s a despicable, sneaky, underhanded stunt which can only damage the image of the department. I’m all for the use of unmarked vehicles for homicide investigations, drugs, child trafficking, and other such duties, but not for traffic enforcement. Use clearly marked cars for that. So who made the decision, does anyone know?
The exact reason I run radar detectors in every vehicle.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retired po-po here.

Thank you!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
making police tax collectors ....is a really bad idea.
And they do that. My mom spent 20 years in the city treasurers office in Ponca city. Every month, one Chief of Police would come in and ask how tax revenue was doing for the month. If it was down, there would be a significant rise in the police notes published in the local newspaper at the end of the month. It really bothered my mom that this was going on, but she needed the job and stayed silent.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They've been doing it for a LONG time. At least 25+ years that I can remember.

You don’t think they’re getting more sneaky about it? I know for a long time, an unmarked car still stood out largely due to the spotlight mounted on the A pillar, and the black rims and tires with no white lettering. It seems though these days TPD is going out of the way to make their unmarked cars even more inconspicuous.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I see this often on I 40 in OKC and even some of the city streets

Latest posts

Top Bottom