UnSafe Gun Safes - Is This True???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I broke three of the MultiVault Delux models with everyday use. There is a spring in the mechinism that breaks. Two lasted 18 months each, the third one only 12 months. The use was getting my handgun out of it in the am, and putting it back in the pm. MultiVault (Cannon Safe Company) replaced the first two becuase they apparently know their product "wears out" with use over time, they refused to honor their warranty on the their last one. They literally have one guy in their warranty department.

So I went shopping, reading many reviews and ended up with the best secure but accessable handgun safe that I am aware of.

Fort Knox Original Handgun Safe.

No electricity, no batteries, no fail.

It will hold two full size Glock 17's with lights. You can program the mechanical "Simplex" push button lock to be as simple or complex as you like (one to five step push combinations- even pushing mulitple buttons for each step if you prefer)

I highly recommend the Fort Knox original handgun safe. I bought mine at this place.

http://www.thesafeplace.com/handgun-safes/fort-knox/handgun-safe.html

Other models available.

http://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a gunvualt and recently sold it. I didnt like the way it opened and really didnt like relying on batteries. Also, I have a 45 # three year old that I'm sure could get in it if he really wanted to. Arfcom has a thread about bedside safes not too long ago and I saw a couple people recommend Fas1Safes ( http://fas1safe.com/) I really like the design but dont like the price so I've started building one. when I get a little farther along I'll post up a tutorial in the projects photo thread

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a gunvualt and recently sold it. I didnt like the way it opened and really didnt like relying on batteries. Also, I have a 45 # three year old that I'm sure could get in it if he really wanted to. Arfcom has a thread about bedside safes not too long ago and I saw a couple people recommend Fas1Safes ( http://fas1safe.com/) I really like the design but dont like the price so I've started building one. when I get a little farther along I'll post up a tutorial in the projects photo thread

You have a 45 pound 3 year old? Get that kid in football, wrestling, or something now! My son is 5, and 40 pounds, daughter is 8, and 60 pounds. I dont think either has the strength, but neither is curious enough to try and get into my safe on their own. They know gun safety, and they know all they have to do is ask.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my gun vault for about seven years and it's been flawless. I think I've changed the batteries once in it. Im not too worried about my toddler getting into it, but I will have to rethink things when he gets a little older.

Ok after watching the video, I have to say it's bs. That kid was clearly coached. I'm confident my gunvault is just fine.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have a 45 pound 3 year old? Get that kid in football, wrestling, or something now! My son is 5, and 40 pounds, daughter is 8, and 60 pounds. I dont think either has the strength, but neither is curious enough to try and get into my safe on their own. They know gun safety, and they know all they have to do is ask.

Sounds like you are doing a good job.

Yea, He's pretty large for a 3.5 year old. not fat just big. and very active. I joke that his mommas family comes from the land of giants. I don't let him have toy guns ( guns are not toys in my home). the times he has seen and we have interacted with firearms together have been very controlled. He's just not there yet mentally to really understand what its all about. That said. I don't worry because I stay on top of it.

The Fas1Safe is neat because of the way it presents the firearm and that it is quite a bit more secure then the other similar products on the market. Bad side is that they want twice as much $. The one I'm building has the same lock and is made from 1/4 instead of 3/16

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that some didn't read the article linked to above.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious.

And sure the kid in the video was coached but still the lifting and dropping one end of the one "safe" renders it useless. That is exactly something a curious kid would do. Pick up on one end, drop it, try the handle again. Oh lookie, now it's open. And there was another "safe" that he was just using something like a screwdriver and poking it into the holes on the top and it pops the lid open. I'm sure he was coached as to what holes to put the screwdriver in and in what order but again, a curious kid could easily do that by chance.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy has multiple videos, if you look at them, most a child will not get into. Second, the ones that were "dropped" are the type that are screwed down for security, IE no cable. So if someone followed the instructions, the child would not be able to lift up on the edge and drop them. The supposed holes they used to open them, would either be filled with a plug, or a screw/bolt. So properly installed, they are safe from prying little hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom