Update an Iphone??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hip.... Do you have a laptop by chance? If you brought a computer over one night I could show ya how to do it. Once you get to ios6 I think. You won't have to plug in again other then to backup maybe.

iOS 6 comes with iCloud when connected to wifi and on the charger with the cover closed/screen off my iPad and my iPhone both back up to my iCloud storage. I use photo stream to synch my photos up in cloud storage and then grab them with my laptop(Aperture is set to sync with photostream as well) or pull them off my phone with the data cable.

You could literally smash both my iOS devices and as soon as I connected one up to wifi with my apple ID I could restore to a brand new device

IOS 5 updated over wifi/cellular data as well. And the later versions of 4 did as well if I remember right.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told at an AT&T store that you can take a free class on how to use iTunes at the Apple Stores. I've hated iTunes since the first time I used it and it put all the bookmarks from my desktop PC on my iPhone.

I had itunes get installed on a computer once since they were forcing a package of EVERYTHING along with quicktime. It took over everything in the computer for media files which is not what I wanted at all. Had to have quicktime for a specific file at the time, this was over eight years ago. Pissed me off something fierce to go through all the apple take over for one thing. Won't have it now, still have to have quicktime installed for a few things but they got the idea and its now separate, still have to remove their continuous updates and the only way to make the auto run "quicktime task" is to manually close that application and then delete the thing. Even removing it from the registry doesn't work as if the web browser opens quicktime it gets put back in and started again. Like I use quicktime fifty times a day. . . would love to smack the person who thought that scheme up a couple times.

:rant:

With that said, have your grandkids come do it for you with their computer. Should get you some new and interesting tunes to listen to and they will enjoy helping you out. Probably work cheap too, ice cream and a fiver.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I update wireless just the Android fanboys do. I also backup my data on iCloud so I don't have to worry and it all syncs between devices. No worries here.

I tried a Galaxy S4 for a week and really liked it but I went back to my iPhone. I know there was probably an Android app that would play all my iTunes music but it ticked me off that the codec wasn't built in to do that, even my POS Blackberry plays my iTunes music. The other reason is I like the integration with my iPad; I have an app on my iPad that gets me into my company email and out IT security folks will only approve it for the iPad, no Android devices.
when I switched from iphone to galaxy I could transfer all my music from itunes. There is also an app called utorrent where you can download music right onto the phone. For free.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take screen shots of my contacts page and email them to myself. It might suck hand typing them back in, but they aren't lost forever.

Isn't there a way of syncing your phone contacts with Google? Actually, I thought they were synced automatically since you are logged into Google on an Android.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I switched from iphone to galaxy I could transfer all my music from itunes. There is also an app called utorrent where you can download music right onto the phone. For free.

I should clarify that when I said my iTunes music I am really talking about Apple's formatted music. If I were to try and play music on a Galaxy that was purchased on iTunes it doesn't work. The Apple music format is not compatible. Like I said, sure there are apps that will play that format.

Latest posts

Top Bottom