USSA taking steel targets away

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this? My father and i were out there last weekend and the steel targets were taken off the south carbine range and a few other from what i heard. I was told that people were shooting calibers that were too big at south carbine, but i never saw any signs saying there was a size limit. Is anyone else as pissed as i am? I love USSA and have been a long time member, and a nice guy i met there said and i had to agree, "we pay them each month to tear their targets up". And if i wanted to shoot paper, i could go to any other range in the tulsa area and shoot there, but i choose USSA because of the nice facility. I dont know, maybe im the only one complaining about it??

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, you don't pay them to "tear their targets up". You pay them for access to a great facility and trigger time. Steel costs a LOT of money. Regardless of cost, shooting it with inappropriate calibers at inappropriate distances not only tears it up, it makes the likelihood of a frag or bullet coming back at you (and everyone who shoots it after you) much higher. No amount of money is worth a serious injury to someone.

If you want to shoot some steel, I'd suggest you get with Matt Harvo (the rangemaster) and let him know you'd like to shoot some steel. He should be able to set you up and ensure that it's safe and correctly set up for the calibers you want to use. Hope this helps.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does and I do understand your point. I just wish they had posted signs up stating which calibers were appropriate for which range. I did ask if they would bring us a steel target to shoot at, and they said no they wouldnt. Maybe they will change their mind and bring them back. I hope so

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good steel targets can cost thousands of dollars depending upon type and all it takes is one person shooting with steel cored ammo to ruin both target faces and any working parts. It's really a shame that clubs can't leave steel out for members to use.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good steel targets can cost thousands of dollars depending upon type and all it takes is one person shooting with steel cored ammo to ruin both target faces and any working parts. It's really a shame that clubs can't leave steel out for members to use.
Exactly. And thats the main point I was getting at. I wasnt trying to offend anyone especially if anyone from here works at USSA

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to direct it at you so I hope that's not the way it was taken. Its just that a lot of shooters don't understand how expensive good steel is and how it can be damaged. If anyone is curious as to the cost of a nice plate rack just give MGM's website a look see.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out last week and spoke to one of the range masters. He shared that the cost of replacing/repairing steel, pneumatics, etc is staggering. What I cant understand is why people would deliberately tear up stuff to a facility you belong to through membership. When you join, you are informed of the rules. Follow them for heavens sake! Don't shoot rifle caliber on the pistol range. It just jacks everything up for the rest of us. Not saying anyone on this thread did that at all, I'm just echoing Tech-99 and GTG.....we need to take care of stuff.

Rant off....

Latest posts

Top Bottom