UUUMMMM wow! How to field dress a deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I was bored a bit and had to watch random videos .That is my only explanation.

I watched this one and thought NO.
NO and NO.
Never in my life seen it done like this..Do you guys do it like this.
I bet you do not cut the hair and get it all over the meat like this dude... heck he has a hook on the knife!!

Got nothing better to do than wrinkle your face at a video then here it is.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2357086_field-dress-deer_-part-1.html

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As for the basic "how to" yeah, that's about right. He does need a sharper knife and he needs to take time to make slower more deliberate cuts. There were a number of cuts that should have been much easier to make. I don't use a hatchet either. I use a little saw to cut through the pelvic bone then spread it out and cut around the anus so it's free. The hook on the knife is called a gut hook. it's designed to allow the hunter to open the carcass without fear of stabbing the entrails. Some like 'em some don't. I prefer not to use one. I just use two fingers and let the knife blade follow in between.

I also don't slice across the abdomen like he does. that's a sure fire way to bust the gut open! and THAT is how you ruin meat. I start my incision right at the base of the sternum. then work down to the tail, then up through the ribs.

With does, I cut up through the rub cage like he did. that helps get the guts out in one swipe.

I'm not too worried about hair on the meat. the entire carcas gets a nice shower once the deer is fully skinned at home. Stray hairs wash right off.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I want to split the pelvic bone I use limb loppers to cut through it. I've also used a bow saw at times. He made it much harder than it has to be. I also use a golf ball to skin the deer by tying wrapping a rope around the outside of the hide around the golf ball under the skin.. attach the rope to either your 4-wheeler or the bumper of your truck and slowly drive away watching the hide come right off..

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can also take an air compressor with an attachment that has small tube on the end which is slipped under the hide, then push the trigger to allow the air to separate the hide away.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can also take an air compressor with an attachment that has small tube on the end which is slipped under the hide, then push the trigger to allow the air to separate the hide away.

I've seen video of this done, but never done it. Does it need to slip under the hide anywhere in particular? Is this done before the hide is cut at the hooves?

Latest posts

Top Bottom