Veterans...Post up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I am speechless. That you would let me be a part of your internet club is humbling. Thank you all for your service to our country, your sacrifice that keeps me safe at home and most of all, for your friendship.
BB, we know that this is really your world, and you just let us live here with you ( ;) ), but agreed.

I almost joined the Army back in the day, but I couldn't on religious grounds--I'm a devout coward. :D

Seriously, though, thanks to all of you who stood or stand in the breach, whether you served in combat or never left the States.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heres a little Veterans Day humour you might enjoy...I was talking to one of my co-workers this morning (he is in the Navy Reserves) and he was telling me about his day taking the ASVAB. He says that they are handing their test scores into the Marine SGT. and the two guys in front of him get this response...MArine SGT"well look here at this genius you scored 28" Second recruit hands his in"Congratulations numb nuts you got a whole 29". Co-worker hands in his and Marine SGT says"this is more like it you got 91". My co-worker asks the SGT what the two under achievers will be doing in their military carrers and the SGT replies" someones got to be cannon fodder".

LOL, IIRC, mine was 118. I actually flopped some Q's intentionally, so I could avoid clerical positions. FWIW, the best Platoon Sgt. I served under had a low ASVAB score (56 to be exact). We nicknamed him "The Rock" because of it. He was smart enough to know what he didn't know. He surrounded himself with smart guys and protected them fiercely. They always made sure he looked good as a result. Some of the so-called smart ones got their ass in a sling because the Marines hated them! LOL

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, IIRC, mine was 118. I actually flopped some Q's intentionally, so I could avoid clerical positions. FWIW, the best Platoon Sgt. I served under had a low ASVAB score (56 to be exact). We nicknamed him "The Rock" because of it. He was smart enough to know what he didn't know. He surrounded himself with smart guys and protected them fiercely. They always made sure he looked good as a result. Some of the so-called smart ones got their ass in a sling because the Marines hated them! LOL

I think you are thinking of your GT score.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda funny the things we remember. 1962 living in LA, I had just turned 17, Mom was struggling working as a waitress to get me and my sister (a year older) through high school with cloths, class rings, proms etc. I decided to make things a little easier for her by quitting high school and joining the Navy. Can't remember what the entrance test was named but I remember getting an 88 and my recruiter telling me I was #2 out of the 50 or so that took the test on that day. The #1 guy was a 4 year college grad, the test was multiple choice and I was just really lucky with my guesses.

That test score gained me the privilege of choosing my rate and training. I chose to be an AT (Aviation Electronics Tech). Thanks to the Navy I was never without a job for any longer than I chose to be. 51 years ago and I'll remember that test score for as long as I live.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember what the tests were called back in the early 60's, but I remember they took a day to administer. I got a 141 on mine and, for that, I got a 111 MOS. Everybody coming out of basic then was cannon fodder, slated to defend Germany. Thank God, it never came about.

BA-Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me shooting the National Pistol Matches at Camp Perry back in 1994. USAMU Service Pistol Team. Good times

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_04_yregejyr.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom