Vets, PTSD, Suicide, Murder and crimes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With the Wars winding down, more and more Vets getting diagnosed and treated for PTSD. We are seeing a significant rise in suicide in our Vets. 1 PER DAY.

We are also seeing a rise in murder committed by Vets. Some were diagnosed with PTSD. A few have been sentenced to death.

More and more Vets are getting locked up due to drug and alcohol related offences, some involving firearms. Most exibit syptoms of PTSD.

PTSD is taking a toll on our Vets, our families, our freinds and society.

Getting adjudicated, which is the process, isnt working. Allowing VA Dr's to flag them is against the law. Current laws are not working.

What are some solutions?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Support the charitable organizations that actually benefit the vets. Here's a good place to research which organizations actually work for the vets, rather than just take money and spend it all on advertising to raise more money.

http://www.military-money-matters.com/charities-ratings.html#axzz2EoPBXycR

2. Contact your elected representatives, all of them. Use facts to get the message across that we do not do enough to support those who risked their lives for their country. Urge them to support and actually create legislation that provides more resources and funding to treat suffering vets. One thing they need more than anything in this tough economy is mil. to civilian transition training and job search assistance. There's nothing worse than coming home to unemployment.

3. Volunteer your time to support the vets through an organization that actually puts you in direct contact with them. I've done this through two different organizations and it's extremely rewarding. Sometimes just having a stranger put forth the effort to show they care is enough to keep them in the fight for their own sake.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One piece of legislation i would love to see is that any Vet diagnosed or treated with PTSD or until PTSD is ruled out, Capitol punishment is off the table.

Its BS vets who have or may have PTSD are sitting on death row.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first thing we should do as a nation is hang our heads in shame for allowing the situation to get this bad.
After that I agree with GTG that more resources and help is needed.
I remember someone on here having problems awhile back, I remember people coming forward with support, advice, and offers of assistance. The last I heard it helped that person and he was doing better, how many problems could be fixed if every vet had that in some form?
Unemployed Vets should be hired as some type of outreach programs to help other vets that are having problems.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) More outreach. The "Vet Centers" (separate from the VA hospitals) are good but there aren't enough of them and a lot of folks don't know they exist.

2) More community/public awareness campaigns...so friends, family, co-workers and vets themselves can be made aware of resources.

3) Expanded use of "Veteran's Courts". Similar to other special, alternative, courts already in existance (Drug Court, Mental Health Court, DUI Court, Domestic Violence Court etc...) where confirmed veterans with validated mental health issues can work through the legal system in an environment that has more of an understanding of circumstances/situation/aggravating factors. It's not a "free ride" just because they are vets...but a system that looks for more than just a conviction and jail time.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buddy with PTSD, well, a lot of buddies with PTSD... I lived in Lawton for a few years. Most go on with life as normal. Those who can sit down and talk it out with other sufferers tend to work through it. Most of them play extremely violent video games, and for whatever reason, it helped. Had one buddy break into my gun cabinet, pull out my PF9, and put a 9mm round through his temple. It's a travesty these boys can't get the help they need. Instead of cutting DoD funding, why don't they divert some funds to this, and other serious problems? It's a shame

Phildo64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the MIAC report, Returning vets are more dangerous to our country than alCIAda

What a crock of ****.

Its pretty nice to know once you get home the Southern Poverty Law center Deems you as possible domestic terrorist....Freaking complete BS if you ask me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom