Vigilantes in Geary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Indian? or indian? People from India would be 'Indian', native American would be 'indian'. I'm Osage-Kaw indian so I am confused when reading the OP. Sorry, not trying to be picky just trying to understand the post.

Indian+cop.jpg
I can definitely see how you were confused...he looks like a Police Chief from Western Oklahoma for sure.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys, an update. I did talk the the Chief of Police. He is Kiowa. By the way my iPad capitalizes Indian for me. Even when I don't.

The Chief was aware and the county sheriff had also called and offered to help if needed. They had got the guys to quit with the clubs or bats or whatever. They have stopped the curfew stuff. That was the part that got to me. I graduated here in 1977 and I was almost twenty and the Geary city council voted in a curfew for everyone at 11pm until 6am. I was no angel and this curfew was selectively enforced. I was one of their reasons for doing it.

I was on the list of "those that shall not be allowed". Several of my friends were also. I had a job on a drilling rig that kept me out until after midnight. It was a real pain. I was given several tickets for that. What was worse was we got a new cop and before he even had cleet training he tried to arrest a friend of mine. This idiot cop picked my friend out of a crowd. He hauled him to the jail and while filling out a report my friend ran out the door. The cop ran out and shot him. He was going to shoot again but the crowd had followed and one young man stood in front of the gun. My friend is now a captain and thirty year veteran with the Oklahoma Wildlife Department. While he was wounded he had to turn down a spot in the OHP academy.

A curfew is a real sore spot for me. Even after my friend was shot the town kept enforcing the curfew. It wasn't until an Indian woman got a lawsuit filed in Federal Court that the town dropped that curfew. It was illegal and wrong in the way it was enforced.

Last edited:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Chief did tell me that the "watchmen"were looking for several Indian boys that were drinking buddies of the young man that died. He said that there was a lot of anger and that some of his relatives were angry that they had ignored problem signs and may even be feeling guilty about it.

The Chief was concerned that those boys being accused might be scarred by the accusations. Those boys were friends of the young man that died.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I graduated from Watonga in 1977. My parents still live there. They haven't said anything about any "vigilanty<sp> stuff" going on.

The Facebook chatter from the"watchmen" was that Watonga needed it too. They were claiming that one of Geary's drug dealers was getting his stuff from a cartel member that lives in Watonga.

Latest posts

Top Bottom