Walther CCP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It appears that Walther is still polishing a few items before sending the first batch. I'm expecting mine in another month. I went to H&H's big demo event today specifically to see if they had the CCP and the HK VP9. Not only did they have the CCP, I got to shoot it! (Sorry no VP9)

From fondling the pistol, it appeared to be unfired. The rep seemed fairly surprised to see it and was glad that Walther shipped one for the event. I would have been better prepared if I knew it was actually going to be there. So here is a quick, off the cuff range report.

photo 2 (14).jpg

Range Report:
Appearance: I like the way this pistol looks. I am a fan of Walther's Polymer pistol designs and this one fits nicely with the P22, PK380 and PPQ. The edges are a little soft and there is a lot of blank areas. I like this style much more than the Shield's.

Ergonomics: This is the outstanding trait of this pistol. It feels like it was shaped to fit the hand unlike the PPS. While it's not HK P30 fit, it's pretty close. Probably just right for smaller hands. All of the lines seem smooth and relatively snag-free. All of the functions are easy to reach and operate.

Action/Operation: It did rack easy as advertised. It didn't look overly complicated. I could feel a slight resistance/break while racking the action without a mag. It felt like it was catching on a trigger component. Maybe it was cocking the striker. It wasn't noticeable while firing. It operates like a quality pistol. The 5 rounds I was allotted all went when I asked them. The magazine is somewhat like a P22 with old school single stack technology. The sedges were somewhat sharp at the top of the mag. The safety is in a convenient place and not in the way. I feel like if you were anti manual safety, you may get along with this too if you like the shield.

Trigger: I was somewhat impressed with the trigger. Upfront, I prefer a DO/SA over a LEM & Striker. The trigger seemed to have a long take up, but the second stage was very clean. The reset was also long. Even though it was long on both sides, the clean trigger was very easy to manage and predict. I noticed very little grit. Much longer on both ends than the shield but much cleaner & lighter too.

Recoil: I was asked if I could feel the reduced recoil. Honestly, I didn't think anything of the recoil. I was very light but being a 9mm, it wasn't noticeably lighter. If I was able to shoot my Shield next to it, I would have a better idea if it was "lighter".

Accuracy: It was pretty accurate for what I did at 10 yards. The trigger was very helpful in that.
photo 1 (15).JPG

Overall: I really appreciate this pistol. It will still take a Pepsi Challenge between it and my Shield to see which will occupy my hip. I am anxious to see the tweeks Walther is doing before shipping and hopefully cleaning up a few rough edges. If I was purchasing a pistol for a lady, this would be it. It is no doubt, easy to operate and shoot. This is a compact version of mid-sized pistol. The rail enables you to use it very much like your standard size unlike the shield. I think this will be helpful for women who purchase this as their primary pistol. With all of the traits of this pistol that are aimed at women, this is still a very formidable gun.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I compared it to the Walther P22 since so many have one. I was impressed with how it compared. It was virtually the same as the PK380 and just slightly larger in most aspects as the P22.
photo 1 (13).jpg
photo 2 (12).jpg
photo 3 (7).JPG
photo 4 (4).JPG

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's quite interesting... I'll have to look into this for my wife. I had been considering a Shield for her. I hate to get something for her that I wouldn't enjoy shooting, too, but I think both of these are just too small for my hand. The Shield is... I dunno, "ok" I suppose. But it was just so damned small, I really need a solid pinky extension to feel comfortable with it. This one looks a little bit better in that respect with the undercut trigger guard, maybe slightly longer grip?

We'll see. I imagine I'll be buying one of these someday.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's quite interesting... I'll have to look into this for my wife. I had been considering a Shield for her. I hate to get something for her that I wouldn't enjoy shooting, too, but I think both of these are just too small for my hand. The Shield is... I dunno, "ok" I suppose. But it was just so damned small, I really need a solid pinky extension to feel comfortable with it. This one looks a little bit better in that respect with the undercut trigger guard, maybe slightly longer grip?

We'll see. I imagine I'll be buying one of these someday.

As far as I know, there isn't a flush mag option with the CCP as their is the Shield. As you can see in the first set of pics, my pinky fits pretty well on the CCP as is. I do have smaller hands though. I think the grip is slightly longer but definitely is helped by the grooved extension. in the hand, it feels much better than the Shield. The Shield is flat, boxy and long from back to front. The biggest thing for her will be the ease of chambering a round. It's pretty effortless in the CCP, it's flat out stiff in the Shield. I'm guessing that the easy of operation translates to an ease of recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom