Wanenmacher gun show report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's the problem I am seeing. you can buy a gun new, with tax, and ffl transfer (if needed) for less than can be had in the second hand market. all the goobers who paid $1000 for basic dpms ARs and WASRs a few years ago think we should pay them a premium for their USED gun, because they panicked and overpaid.

kinda burns me up pretty bad.

Used gun prices are way out of whack. The various Facebook gun pages are full of folks arguing about prices (it's kinda funny, but kinda sad). I'm not just talking about "collectable" guns either. People are expecting to get new prices for used guns.

Yep, I've seen a few $750-600 used glocks on a few of the pages. The comments ARE entertaining for sure...

Yes I'll never understand why some folks believe something is worth more than it is. There's books or online sites that tell you the value of a firearm or most anything for that matter. A 5-800 dollar rifle new that has been used just simply isn't worth the same money you paid for it. If you paid more than it was worth I'm sorry you're an idiot. Take you're losses and go on.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I'll never understand why some folks believe something is worth more than it is. There's books or online sites that tell you the value of a firearm or most anything for that matter. A 5-800 dollar rifle new that has been used just simply isn't worth the same money you paid for it. If you paid more than it was worth I'm sorry you're an idiot. Take you're losses and go on.

This. Why should anyone get burned up because someone else had a learning experience?

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sold a fellow a revolver some time ago. A young man, he said it was his first handgun. 7 months pass by and he either wants something else or is a financial jam? I offer to buy it back for $25 less than what he paid me for it. He told me, he couldn't do it and suffer the loss. I told him what loss? You shot the gun for 7 months, thats .12 cents a day. But with all the new shooters in the crowd these days, this type of attitude is what is the norm.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This pretty much summed up the experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Literally the only deal that I ran across on Saturday was a SC 1903A3. It looked to be correct with the exception of the Remington stock that it was wearing. Seller was asking $500 but said that he was very negotiable on the price. I thought about offering $400 and flipping it, but decided to leave it for someone else. The only other items of interest for me were some WWII era M1 helmets and parts that I ran across. I made a couple offers on a Schlueter front seam swivel bale helmet but ended up throwing in the towel since the seller and I were only $10 apart and he wouldn't budge any further on the price. I ended up leaving the show with only a couple WWII British made helmet nets and sore feet. Thankfully I ended up selling my carbine racks for $700 so the trip wasn't a total loss.

I'm not sure what the experience was like for modern firearms collectors, but if you had a milsurp focus it seemed that 99% of everything was at least 50% overpriced. I guess sellers are asking premium prices these days for bubba's stock sanding handywork. This will probably be my last trip to a Tulsa show for awhile.

Last edited:

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big show will be dead until the next big scare or manufacturers shutter machines and lay off employees. There were a lot of dealers & manufacturers dumping inventory at cost or less and even at that people weren't spending money. Along with many others, FBT will not be at the spring show, the expense and effort cannot be justified.

Our first and last! We have sold over a million dollars worth of holsters so far this year and sold 3..... yes 3 at this show.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Basic economics; something is worth whatever someone, somewhere will pay for it. If they can get a sucker to overpay for it, then it's worth that price.

Anyway, I think I'm done with gun shows. OSA and the Internet from now on for me.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I appreciate your attempt to enlighten me on the nuances of the SDA law, I am aware that fairgrounds themselves are exempt from restrictions but that the buildings are a different story and that whoever is leasing the building from the city/county can set their own policy. For example, the last gunshow I went to in Okc had signs welcoming concealed or open carry without making the citizenry unload their carry weapons. If you were selling a weapon, it got checked by Okc PD but the people in that line that were OC-ing did not have the weapon on their hip checked just the one they brought in to sell. An older gentleman asked specifically if he needed to remove his 1911 from it's holster and told 'nope, enjoy the show' by the female officer.

My question is directed to the tacit approval by the esteemed members of OSA of the biggest gunshow in all the land restricting that right to carry in the name of safety vs the ***** fest that arises from a business doing the same on their establishment or on public property (State Fair Assn or Tulsa's Oktoberfest). Just thought it a bit odd.

Maybe the OKC show just hasn't experienced a ND yet like the last couple Wannamacher's have. Even though the azzhats were told to check their guns at the door.
Insurance companies dictate some of the rules and some shows have no insurance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom