warning or bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do I take him out because my instructor said it's cool and then end up getting myself in a heap of shat because the thug didn't even acknowledge me or point his weapon anywhere near my direction, so may life wasn't really in danger?

The way I understand the law just the fact that he was wielding a gun in a public place puts your life at risk. Legally. But then again, I'm no attorney.

I would probably make myself thin, draw my gun, and make sure that downrange is clear in case he does start shooting. If he doesn't shoot then he gets away with $35 and a Snickers, the clerk gets the scare of his life, and no one dies (not that I'm particularly sad when a bad guy gets killed "on the job").

But that's just me.

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in that position. My own business in Yukon. Given this a lot of thought too. If he announces his intent or comes in with the weapon drawn, I'm not giving the bad guy a chance to ruin my health or my cash flow. Down he goes. DO NOT SHOOT TO WOUND. Double tap, center mass, then 9-1-1.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question. MY answer might depend on what cover I have and whether I was able to achieve a tactical advantage at the outset of any altercation. However, I must say that my reading of the law might obfuscate the answer here. Read up on defense of another.
Heh I have to read up on obfuscate first!

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think if i could get my weapon drawn and pointed at the guy and ready to shoot, i would give him a verbal warning to put the gun down and lay on the ground. any sudden movement other than that i would shoot. but then again i have 2 boys and a wife and would not want to give the guy any chance in hell of shooting me, so maybe i would say nothing and shoot him in the leg, then if he doesnt drop the gun or tries anything from there, send one to the chest. i dont know, it seems easy for people to say what they would do when they are nice and calm sitting at the computer, but in that real life scenario things may go differently when the adrenaline starts flowin, so its hard to say for sure what exactly i would do.

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different position. I'm behind the counter most of the time so that makes the decision a lot easier. Since I'm the owner, even when the counter being manned by someone else (wife, daughter, etc), the decision is a simple one. However, if I'm a customer in another store, I start to consider tactical cover and a defensive position. The robbery does not, at that point, include me or require my intervention. If the bad guy, turns toward me, that brings the situation on to my front porch and the shoot/no shoot decision now rests on the threat level and the backstop. I don't think there is a single, one-size-fits-all reaction.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all honesty, if I was in the store where a robbery with a gun was going down I would feel as though my life was in danger, I have no where to go except through the door to get away from the situation which would be going right by the BG. If he was to shoot the clerk my thought is he would next take out any witnesses. Feeling as though my life was in danger I would feel as though using deadly force would be justified, even shooting him in the back. In regards to the sporting comment, anyone in this world that says you have to give the guy committing a felony that is putting my life and others in danger a sporting chance to defend his life from a law abiding citizen that wants to go home to his family is absolutely insane. I think in Oklahoma that the general mindset of a jury and public would agree that it's justified. I've read on here that essentially you step into the shoes of the victim you are standing up for, which means if that person had no right to use deadly force then neither did you regardless of what you thought was going on. So in an armed robbery scenario it's pretty easy to see what is going on, some kind of armed confrontation in a parking lot is totally different. It could be someone else defending themselves from the person you are stepping in to "help out"

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i think if i could get my weapon drawn and pointed at the guy and ready to shoot, i would give him a verbal warning to put the gun down and lay on the ground. any sudden movement other than that i would shoot. but then again i have 2 boys and a wife and would not want to give the guy any chance in hell of shooting me, so maybe i would say nothing and shoot him in the leg, then if he doesnt drop the gun or tries anything from there, send one to the chest. i dont know, it seems easy for people to say what they would do when they are nice and calm sitting at the computer, but in that real life scenario things may go differently when the adrenaline starts flowin, so its hard to say for sure what exactly i would do.

That opens it up for the perp to "get you back" once he is released from jail/prison in a year or two... Or sue you for causing him a limp...

And no.. I have had my own business... And dealt with th lower scum of the city.. I knew they were packing.. and I let them know I was as well..

If you put me or my family in harms way .. expect to pay a very large price..

The only way to stop the danger is by dropping the perp..And dropping them hard.. a leg shot still might allow him to get a shot off..

hesitate.. And you or someone else will die..

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My CCW instructor put things in this perspective. What would a reasonable jury think? These are the kinds of decisions that we MUST think through before we find ourselves in these situations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom