warning or bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not shoot unless I think he plans to shoot me or somebody else. Pointing a gun on the clerk's face is not enough.
Even though I think shooting the perp is perfectly justified, I honestly cannot make the shot under adrenaline, using a small CCW gun with small sight radius and less than perfect lighting conditions, that will hit the brain and immediately incapacitate him before he can apply a little more pressure on the trigger and kill the clerk.
The other issue is that the clerk and his employer have both decided on a policy that does not include resisting a hold up. He gives the perp the money, they write it off the taxes and move on. Do I have the right to change their policy on how to handle such serious events?

holy crap, whats it gonna take?

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
holy crap, whats it gonna take?

A positive indication that he is going to shoot somebody. A gun pointed at the clerk is a sign of robbery, not shooting, most robberies don't involve shootings. When do you think the clerk's chances are better? I take a shot from an unknown distance with my little CCW, aiming for the head which IMO is the only way to prevent the perp from killing the clerk, or, the clerk gives him the money and the perp runs out.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes, the video. and yes, he should have, but the end result was all the same.

I guess adrenaline might have something to do with it, but once the guy was running out the door should he have not fired those last two shots?

And I think he was keeping the gun out because he wasn't comfortable going outside to make sure the guy was completely incapacitated. Not like he was "running around" from what we can see he was just staying back and keeping a bead on the bad guy till cops arrived. Seems sensible to me.

lcunningham

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read up on that one (just now)..

He left the store to chase down the other perp, came back, and then proceeded to unload on the perp on the floor.. Not exactly what I meant by "unload the magazine"..

I can sympathize with Mr. Ersland's situation/frustration that day, but, wasnt exactly the scenario I was attempting to project with that verbage.

Not sure how the verdict will go. In his defense on the video you can not see the kid on the ground if hes moving, twitching whatever. The other perp had a gun one assumes they both do. I may have held a gun on him just in case just saying the only ones who knows what happened is him and the girls in the back since the camera is out of view.

seurto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how the verdict will go. In his defense on the video you can not see the kid on the ground if hes moving, twitching whatever. The other perp had a gun one assumes they both do. I may have held a gun on him just in case just saying the only ones who knows what happened is him and the girls in the back since the camera is out of view.
No doubt..
I'm not saying one way or the other either, just clarifying my phrase "empty the mag" meaning.. is all.. lol
I woulda been pissed as hell and prolly chased the other perp as well..
It takes much restraint to not act on the adrenalin and not chase down someone who just put a gun in your face, and then fled when you used yours.

rusty_stud

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think i'd just hide near the corner of the store or get in a hallway or something if possible to cover my back. then have the weapon drawn and waiting. if he knows i'm there he'll have to peek around a corner and i have the advantage of a drawn aimed and ready glock. the real question is how to find cover in a store with an interior like a box with isles and little mirrors everywhere. if this really went down it'd happen so dern fast you might as well just start shooting, while you have the upper hand of spotting them first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom