Wars your family fought in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good resources to check

1) Military service, and

2) Colonial immigration records (maybe this is a poor description, but I know my family came to VA in the mid-1600s

I have traced the family name (paternally, obviously) back to the 1500s in England and want to check on any military service and immigration records.

When I was trying to find out when/where my Grandpa served, I found out the records building where a lot of veterans service records were held burned in a fire in the 70's or so. Might make it a little tougher to find the info, but it has to be somewhere, right?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great great great great great great great great grandfather and grandmother, John Jackson and Elizabeth Cummings Jackson, were both Revolutionary War veterans. John was a Captain and Rifleman in the Virginia militia. He and his 2 eldest sons fought at the Battle of King's Mountain in South Carolina, which was a great victory over the British. While the men were off fighting, Elizabeth Jackson turned their home into a fort and protected the townspeople, fighting off an attack from indians allied with the British. She has a chapter of the DAR named after her for this.

Their great grandson, my great great great great great great grandfather, was Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson... one of the greatest military strategians who ever lived. Unfortunately, he was mortally wounded by friendly fire during the battle of Chancellorsville. If he was at Gettysburg, just months later, things might have gone a little different for us.

And then my Grandpa, Robert Gilmore, was on the U.S.S. Fulton, a submarine tender, in WWII. They went out by themselves into Japanese water to re-supply attack subs that were raiding the Jap convoys.

Here's a good one for you... a young kid asked his grandpa, "did you fight in the American Revolution?" The grandpa said, "no son, not yet."

I would answer the same way.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can directly document WWII from both grandfathers.

My Great-grandfather was too old for WWI at the time, so I know I can count that one out. I don't believe he was in the Spanish American war (as I am led to believe he was still in Arkansas at that time), but I cannot be sure.

I am certain I had relatives that fought in the Civil War (for the south, as they were in Arkansas), and the Revolutionary War (family lived in the Jamestown/Hampton/Norfolk, VA area for quite some time before coming to Arkansas. I know they were there as early as 1648).

My Cherokee relatives were continually at war with the Creeks from what I have on record.

Well, I found that while my great x 5 granfather Jeremiah Perry (1731 - 1777) was not in the Revolution, he was a member of the North Carolina militia in the 1750s. So he was a member of the service of this great nation before it even existed!

:)

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Revolutionary War (Swapped sides) (2)
1812 (1)
War of Northern Agression (2 TO 4)
Indian Wars (1)
Punitive Expedition (1)
WWs I and II (1) and (4)
Cold (6)
Korea (1)
Vietnam (4)
Several 'Brushfire' conflicts (Panama, Embassy Evacuations, Haiti, Kosovo)(2)
Sandbox - DS/OEF/OIF (2)

Busy family......

Latest posts

Top Bottom