Washington State again - Bill to restrain cops on traffic stops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why does the government enforce my interest in my own safety? Seat belt laws are ridiculous.
I do see your point, I just disagree. If you don’t like the laws then change the laws. If the people you’ve elected aren’t doing what you’d like then elect different officials. Griping about it on a public forum isn’t going to accomplish anything. If everyone rationalizes and chooses which laws they will or won’t follow what message does that send to our youth? No wonder so many of them are screwed up spouting garbage like “what’s right for you isn’t right for me.” “If I want to bring my emotional support peacock on this United Flight that’s none of your business.” (I didn’t make that one up, actually happened). I agree that some laws are silly but I think it’s a slippery slope when we as individuals start deciding which ones we’ll agree to follow.

Last edited:

T-Dog

DPT 3c 89-93 - Desert Storm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do see your point, I just disagree. If you don’t like the laws then change the laws. If the people you’ve elected aren’t doing what you’d like then elect different officials. Griping about it on a public forum isn’t going to accomplish anything. If everyone rationalizes and chooses which laws they will or won’t follow what message does that send to our youth? No wonder so many of them are screwed up spouting garbage like “what’s right for you isn’t right for me.” “If I want to bring my emotional support peacock on this United Flight that’s none of your business.” (I didn’t make that one up, actually happened). I agree that some laws are silly but I think it’s a slippery slope when we as individuals start deciding which ones we’ll agree to follow.
You have said it multiple times about changing the law if you don't like it. Isn't that what the OP is about? So am I missing something here? The responses weren't people jumping on a public forum to gripe, they were responding to the OP with their thougths on it.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old “broken glass” theory. Although a few high profile cases have been broken by “minor violations” in almost all cases those Officers were canvassing the areas looking for people.

Minor violations disproportionately effect poorer and blue collar workers. Mud flaps, registration, minor light violations, and other technical violations are not criminal indicators. Officers can be forced into stoping people to “be proactive.” Those minor violations are low hanging fruit and easy pickings for Officers.

The only time they actually work are for wall stops when the suspect is known but independent PC for the stop is needed. Speeding and unsafe driving actions are significant criminal indicators.

Officers could easily focus on speeding violations, sign and turn violations, and unsafe driving behavior. Those things actually statistically produce results benefiting the community. I’m glad Policing is evolving from this stop every stupid violation theory to a more directed approach. We’ll be more free and Officers would do more good.

We need more Officers, more training, more physical fitness standards, and smarter more independent Officers. If the quality of Officers improved, the quality not quantity of stops would improve.
I use to disparage broken glass theory as well until I watched the community I lived in turn into a 3rd world shithole with endless camps of homeless junkie criminals preying on the law abiding. Seattle has had this "no stops" policy for several years not, the result is cars driving around with no plates committing crime ranging from cutting off catalytic converters to murder. it's insane. But I will get popped by parking enforcement In front of my house for $200 because the county takes an extra month to mail your tabs.
I wonder what Hancock, Adams, Jefferson, Henry and the rest of those guys would think of random stops, stops for taillights, tinting, and subsequent searches....while you're simply trying to drive down the damned road.
At this point I think they would be more concerned at our lack of social cohesion and failure to maintain a high trust society.

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have said it multiple times about changing the law if you don't like it. Isn't that what the OP is about? So am I missing something here? The responses weren't people jumping on a public forum to gripe, they were responding to the OP with their thougths on it.
Kind of but not really. Here’s what OP posted in bold.

“Bill Would Prohibit Washington Cops From Stopping Drivers For Most Misdemeanor Warrants, ‘Nonmoving’ Traffic Violations”.

This isn’t changing the law as I read it, it’s stopping police from enforcing the law because it unfairly targets minorities in their opinion. After that most posts in favor of it were agreeing that certain laws shouldn’t be enforced. My opinion is IF the laws are unfair then do away with them or keep your cars in running order and avoid the situation entirely. I know I see things differently at times. I also would have left it alone if someone hadn’t quoted my post so I figured that opened the door for a response don’t you think?

T-Dog

DPT 3c 89-93 - Desert Storm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of but not really. Here’s what OP posted in bold.

“Bill Would Prohibit Washington Cops From Stopping Drivers For Most Misdemeanor Warrants, ‘Nonmoving’ Traffic Violations”.

This isn’t changing the law as I read it, it’s stopping police from enforcing the law because it unfairly targets minorities in their opinion. After that most posts in favor of it were agreeing that certain laws shouldn’t be enforced. My opinion is IF the laws are unfair then do away with them or keep your cars in running order and avoid the situation entirely. I know I see things differently at times. I also would have left it alone if someone hadn’t quoted my post so I figured that opened the door for a response don’t you think?
True, my bad on responding so quickly. I'm usaully better at not doing that on these types of threads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom