We all have good stories, let's hear em???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One time I was practicing my quick draw with my custom .45. I shot myself in the leg on the draw, luckily my training took over and I called my parents.

In all seriousness, we have an old man in my shop, says that you could line up 5 matches, and at 30 yards, he would make 3 light up with a .22lr. Another guy in the shop, not to be outdone, said he can do it 7 out of 10.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In all seriousness, we have an old man in my shop, says that you could line up 5 matches, and at 30 yards, he would make 3 light up with a .22lr. Another guy in the shop, not to be outdone, said he can do it 7 out of 10.

That would be a pretty good trick if he could tell you which three were gonna light up!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the "Ambush at Cavern Cove" annual Cowboy Action match in Alabama they hire Boy Scouts to pick up brass. The scouts sort the brass and it is auctioned off, all the proceeds go to the scout club. Anyway, one year it was arranged that after the match the scouts could shoot our guns, under our supervision. I let the scouts shoot one round each out of my percussion revolvers, then loaded my SAA for them. We were at one of the stages that has a false store front. Shooters would sit at a table to fire. Behind the table is a window. The scoutmaster was outside the wall, watching through the window. Two or three kids fired the SAA. The next kid apparently had seen a lot of the old B Western movies, you know where the cowboys sorta sling the bullets out of the gun. For his cocking motion he raised the gun over his head and it was literally pointing directly into the scoutmaster's face. I made a quick grab, got my finger under the hammer and pushed his hand and gun back into a safe direction. The kid saw the look on our faces, realized what he'd done, and I thought he was gonna start crying. After a short lecture on gun pointing, I went ahead and let him shoot his round. I hope he never forgets that lesson. I know the scoutmaster will never forget just how large the hole is in the end of a .44-40 revolver.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have another good one I remembered today, I was at H&H trying to teach a couple young boys (14/15) to shoot. These boys had never shot anything more than a BB gun, so I told mom I would show them the basics and build on it if they did well and listened to what I told them. Anyways we get to H&H and I had a Glock 23, a Smith 22A, and a Winchester 1300 12gauge. I figured I would start them out small and let them build up. Anyways I start unpacking everything, guns, ammo, targets, ect and the whole time I am talking about gun safety and pointing direction for the gun, no finger on the trigger, ect. All the while I have the ammo and guns sorted out and I am looking through my bag for the markers and other stuff I brought. Long story short while I am looking for other things and my attention is diverted one of the kids (and he is kinda a punk anyways) picks up my winchester (which still had the pistol grip on it from an earlier outing, which I was going to change out at the very end before shooting it) and loads it with one of the slugs I brought to show them the difference between loads and patterns. Then I hear them talking to each other, I turn around just in time to hear the punk kid say "watch this". Stupid kid then shoots the gun downrange without asking, without checking to see if he is doing everything right, and to see if he is clear and safe to fire. I would have blown up on him, but in the pace of maybe 2 seconds blood is spewing from his lower face. He is screaming and yelling and he turns around and he had split his lip wide open because when he was "aiming" he raised the pistol grip up just in front of his lip and nose. I was really angry and I took jim out got him cleaned up and we promptly left. Later his mom calls me and is mad because he has fat lip, bruised nose and severe headache. I said I am really sorry that he did not listen to me when I was trying to explain things, I said the gun was not loaded when he picked it up, he loaded it and shot it while I was tending to my equipment. Later she had the nerve to ask me if he could go out with me again, I said absolutely not! I will take his buddy, but I will never take him again. I said he is too impulsive and may kill himself or someone else the next time he even picks up a gun.

Funny thing is she never called or talked to me again, actually come to think of it, I guess that really was a pretty good day afterall! Never liked her much anyways... LOL..

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While T Bird was filling. They allowed Duck hunting between the twin Bridges on the North side. I was a student at OU and my instructor was from NYC. He regalled us with tales of duck hunting in NEW Your. Anyway he found out I was a duck hunter. Begged me to take him. He said he really didn't know where to go so I finally agreed to take him. He met me at my house a 4:30 am. My wife made us a great breakfast of B&E with all the trimmings. I'm really trying to make a good impression.I really wanted a good grade. So anyway we drove to the lake... well really to Little River Landing. It was going to be great... Not much wind, about 25 degrees and foggy. Just perfect. I backed my boat into Little River, loaded the deeks and my teacher... I didn't own a motor so I rowed to the site... Then I began to set out the deeks in about 4 feet of water. Well, I heard the beat of their wings first, caught a glimps of them on the first pass. opened up with the call and they came around again. Told him not to look until I said take um. second pass... third pass... and they set their wings. "Take um" I said. We both opened up and a brace fell. I waded out ( I'm a big guy. 6 feet 6 inches), and picked them up. On the very next flight we both shot one. Turns out he was a pretty good shot. Now I shot a double. He used some sort of pump. Just at then I looked up on the hill to the east and saw the flash of light from pair of Binocs. Kinda knew it was the warden sitting on that hill. So... I asked him if his gun was plugged.... He stopped looked at me and said "Oops, I forgot." And then he started to take care of it right then.... I thought he knew how to unload his gun... He didn't.... fired two rounds through the bottom of my boat. We sank in 4 feet of water. Was a real wet day. Next time I saw him he begged me to take him again, but I transferred out of that class in a hurry. Even now when I see him he reminds me that I need to take him duck hunting again. See I'm 65 and I don't duck hunt any more and even if i did, thats one Yankee that can stay home.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was at Wanamachers checking out holster as was a guy to the left of me. Next thing I hear is my wife saying " that guy left his gun". Sure enough sitting on a pile of holsters was a a pistol. Turned it over to the vender. I hope the guy remembered where he left it and got it back .

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. I was a student at OU and my instructor was from NYC. Next time I saw him he begged me to take him again, but I transferred out of that class in a hurry. Even now when I see him he reminds me that I need to take him duck hunting again. See I'm 65 .

I have to ask stan, how long ago did you go to school at OU?

I am just curious because I wanted to make sure i'm not confused. It sounds like you were younger then and now your 65 and still see the guy! Whoooo

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was just laughing at something I was reflecting on earlier tonight, so it got me thinking.

What stories do you guys have about someone you know (hopefully not you personally) that own firearms and probably should not? I want to see if you have stories of anything crazy, like someone having accidental shooting, or leaving a gun somewhere in public. Anything that is funny, sad, or just plain stupid!

My story is from my days working at Brinks as an armored car driver (hated that job by the way). One of the ladies that worked for them, and they didn't have many women, went to the bathroom at a wal-mart and left her gun on the toilet paper holder. She left the store, went back to the truck and carried on with the rest of her day and NO ONE in the truck ever noticed until she got a call from the dispatcher telling her to call the BOSS! she called and he told her she needed to go back to the store and pick up her Smith&Wesson M&P .40cal that she left, but the good news was that a 6 year old boy found it and gave it to mommy!!! She promptly returned to pick it up, and went back to base, and was then promtly relieved of her duty! I about died when I heard the story, and long story short is that is one factor that made Wal-Mart choose Loomis armored for thier service very, very, shortly afterwards.

OUCH!!!! that had to hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work at brinks Tulsa branch, almost two years ago when i was still new there, just out of training. one of the currency processors carrying the .38 special smith revolvers decides shes too good to use the firearm loading/unloading station in the barn. and instead goes into the vault, opens her gun locker, loads her revolver and proceeds to slide it into her holster.

apparently she decided it was okay to have her damn finger on the trigger while she slid the firearm into the holster. and she shot herself int he arse.. .. .

the fatty part... just grazed it though.

she was suspended immediately, after her drug test she tried blaming it on the holster. and then on the gun.. "one of em must be defective" ... because even if they were (which they were not!) that would have made up for the fact that she was loading her gun in the wrong place... completely against procedure.

edit: the trainer also tells a funny story of how another former female employee for brinks tulsa. flipped the armored truck in route to OKC from Tulsa, then before leaving the the accident to head back to tulsa for a dui test, she asked for the key to get back into the truck. because she left her purse in it..... (he had already been in the cab of the truck and found and collected the portable dvd player that she plugs in and sets on the passengers and watched movies while going down the road...... which he said was still open and on when he found it)... yeah... she came back to him flustered and asked if he found it... UH YEAH! and its going on the boss's desk!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work at brinks Tulsa branch, almost two years ago when i was still new there, just out of training. one of the currency processors carrying the .38 special smith revolvers decides shes too good to use the firearm loading/unloading station in the barn. and instead goes into the vault, opens her gun locker, loads her revolver and proceeds to slide it into her holster.

apparently she decided it was okay to have her damn finger on the trigger while she slid the firearm into the holster. and she shot herself int he arse.. .. .

the fatty part... just grazed it though.

she was suspended immediately, after her drug test she tried blaming it on the holster. and then on the gun.. "one of em must be defective" ... because even if they were (which they were not!) that would have made up for the fact that she was loading her gun in the wrong place... completely against procedure.

edit: the trainer also tells a funny story of how another former female employee for brinks tulsa. flipped the armored truck in route to OKC from Tulsa, then before leaving the the accident to head back to tulsa for a dui test, she asked for the key to get back into the truck. because she left her purse in it..... (he had already been in the cab of the truck and found and collected the portable dvd player that she plugs in and sets on the passengers and watched movies while going down the road...... which he said was still open and on when he found it)... yeah... she came back to him flustered and asked if he found it... UH YEAH! and its going on the boss's desk!

Haha, that's awesome! I hope you like it, I couldn't stand the erratic hours and changing days anymore, Had enough of that during my time at the sheriffs office.

Just out of curiousity I have to ask, have they installed those smart drive systems on your trucks? Before I left last year they had them on all of em, and they would call you driving down the road and ask why you hit the curb and made the camera go off? I said one day when they asked me after leaving Chase downtown, "I don't know why I hit that curb, but if you call me while i'm driving I will probably hit other things too". NOT SMART! MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haha, that's awesome! I hope you like it, I couldn't stand the erratic hours and changing days anymore, Had enough of that during my time at the sheriffs office.

Just out of curiousity I have to ask, have they installed those smart drive systems on your trucks? Before I left last year they had them on all of em, and they would call you driving down the road and ask why you hit the curb and made the camera go off? I said one day when they asked me after leaving Chase downtown, "I don't know why I hit that curb, but if you call me while i'm driving I will probably hit other things too". NOT SMART! MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah they installed them a few months ago here. cant remember if they said the subscription was live yet or not. im sure it is. two of our trucks keep rattleing them loose and they hang upside down by the wire just swinging. i think the only real change its caused is the routes get in noticeably later. especially the over the road runs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom