We once had open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a reference in another thread which I believe stated something like "we lost open carry in 1971 due to a new law..."

Did I read that correctly? Oklahoma once allowed open carry (i.e., did not have a law against it)?

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Oklahoma was once an open carry state. If I am not mistaken, the way SDA got passed in Oklahoma was that open carry incited fear. I think it was the Self Defense Act that did away with open carry.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, Oklahoma was once an open carry state. If I am not mistaken, the way SDA got passed in Oklahoma was that open carry incited fear. I think it was the Self Defense Act that did away with open carry.

Seriously have you ever bothered to read Oklahoma's constitution or statutes?

Unlawful carry was ammended by the SDA to allow the carry of concealed weapons. We did not have open carry prior to the SDA.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69740

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously have you ever bothered to read Oklahoma's constitution or statutes?

Unlawful carry was ammended by the SDA to allow the carry of concealed weapons. We did not have open carry prior to the SDA.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69740

Yes we did have open carry legal before the SDA.

I think he was just saying SDA didn't make open carry illegal, like the other poster was saying. I think thats what he meant.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes we did have open carry legal before the SDA.

About 70 years before the SDA. Open carry has been illegal in Oklahoma since the 1930's.

I was shocked when I moved here in 1994 but it has been the law of the state since that time.

There were exceptions such as hunting and education but no general open carry.

Michael Brown

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he was just saying SDA didn't make open carry illegal, like the other poster was saying. I think thats what he meant.

Nope not what I meant. I quite literally meant that open carry did not exist in oklahoma at any point in the lifetime of the majority of our board members. Both MB and TM are correct open has been a goner since long before the SDA was passed. If you can find a forum member in their 80's actually they'd probably need to be in their 90's they would be able to remember open carry.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I did carry open on my hip any time I wanted to until I was told by an OHP in 1995 or 1996 that I could not do it anymore because of CCW. I took that to mean I had not been doing anything illegally in the past. And no Betting I did not or will not in the future waste my time reading any of the Oklahoma statutes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom