We once had open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 70 years before the SDA. Open carry has been illegal in Oklahoma since the 1930's.

I was shocked when I moved here in 1994 but it has been the law of the state since that time.

There were exceptions such as hunting and education but no general open carry.

Michael Brown

I'm suprised that there wasn't open carry back in the day.
In 1962 I bought my first shotgun at 11 yrs old after mowing yards all summer. The mowing was $1.25 per yard, and my folks made me put 1/2 of my earnings into a savings account.
A local Army supply had an H&R .410 for $17.50.
My dad and I went up there and he paid for it, and we carried it 6 blocks down main street. He had the barrel and I had the butt stock.
We went into Ponca City Savings an loan with the gun, in two pieces, and never got a raised eyebrow. Went to the counter, produced my savings account savings book and made a withdrawal. Walked out and went home. Still have that shotgun, and all of my younger relatives have taken their first game with it.
My, how things have changed.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yep but that was in the good ole days...I didn't live in metro okc...thank god... but in rural Morrison or actually country sumner oklahoma. We had livestock shows, carried guns in cars and trucks, even teachers were late to school during deer season. Now in mega cities I can see where there might be a problem with open carry, but in small town america, you don't see it unless that person is a sheriff or something or small town cop, or just a guy who is city cop. In rural towns, guns don't cause much alarm. course we didn't lock our doors either so don't suppose folks feared much of anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom