Weapon mounted Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting another Raven Concealment holster with the light option but need to either get a light first OR get the holster and get the light I pick. Just wanted some opinions on whats good and what to stay away from. I've heard the added weight to the front helps with recoil(?) Anybody verify that?

I'd say if you're observing reduced recoil due to the mounted light, you're probably not gripping the gun correctly. Adding weight to the front of any gun will reduce perceived recoil, but we're not talking a half pound here. Most of these lights are 3-4oz. Having a good grip will mitigate the effects of recoil more than that.

Some guns have more reliability issues with a WML. There have been documented issues with some Glock 22's with WML's IIRC.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say if you're observing reduced recoil due to the mounted light, you're probably not gripping the gun correctly. Adding weight to the front of any gun will reduce perceived recoil, but we're not talking a half pound here. Most of these lights are 3-4oz. Having a good grip will mitigate the effects of recoil more than that.

Some guns have more reliability issues with a WML. There have been documented issues with some Glock 22's with WML's IIRC.

True True.

I don't have a problem with it per say. but anything that will halp me get back on target "faster" is welcomed. Also I hadn't though about the weight causing reliability issues.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the land of the pistol-mounted weapon light Surefire is king.

They are extremely robust and well engineered. The glass lens is easy enough to clean unlike the plastic lens of some other lights that will actually discolor and go opaque after shooting a lot with it mounted. If you cannot shoot regularly with and item mounted on your gun for fear of damaging it then it shouldn't be on the gun. The light on the right has been mounted on a G19 for around 1500 rounds. I have had no issues with it and the only thing I bother to clean is the lens.

Michael Brown is entirely correct about the DG switch. The only drawback to them is their flimsiness. Something I've started doing is putting heat shrink tubing on the length of the switch to protect it from abrasion. In the first picture you can actually see how the rubber has worn away on one corner of the switch. The heatshrink tubing will help to prevent this. The great thing about these lights is that when equipped with the DG switch they are completely seamless: they just work. I used to do a lot of night time travel on the interstate and regularly CC'd an x300 on the gun.

Ek

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MB and EK nailed it as usual. The x300 with DG switch is the only option for a weapon mounted light in my opinion. I'm pretty sure myself, MB and EK have all had formal low light training so I don't find it ironic we all suggested the same thing.

PS... Hey Nate I have some BLACK shrink tube I put on mine if you need to borrow some lol.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did a quick search and didn't find much.

I have an M&P40 and have been thinking about adding a light to it. What light have you used and would you recommend? Pictures are a plus.

Thanks!

You know Jeremy.... I have had several pistols with rails and I have NEVER stuck a light or a lazer on one. I think it is all a mental thing. People want to be all "tacticool" with all that gunk on their weapon and they forget that a light and or a lazer is beacon stright to where they are positioned. Just my opinion.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know Jeremy.... I have had several pistols with rails and I have NEVER stuck a light or a lazer on one. I think it is all a mental thing. People want to be all "tacticool" with all that gunk on their weapon and they forget that a light and or a lazer is beacon stright to where they are positioned. Just my opinion.

It's almost like they want to have a better look at what their gun's pointed at before they put some permanent holes in it...weird.

Latest posts

Top Bottom