Whaddya know, common sense still exists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not very log after the blinkie lights come on.

That brings up a good question. Say a person was getting pulled over by an unmarked car in an area where they don't feel comfortable pulling over for a car that they can't clearly tell is a police car. How would you reccomend that person proceeds in that situation? How could you proceed to a safe area without completely pissing off the officer behind you?

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each situation is different. There is no way to give advice on this, as I have dealt with this a hundred times, in a hundred different ways. About all I can say is use what common sense you have, and realize that the whole "fake cop" thing is pretty rare.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the point where you go from going 5 over the speed limit to 55 over I'm pretty sure thats evading the police - if it is unmarked - I would drive to the nearest police station if I could - or call 911 and ask that they send a marked car because you are suspicious of the guy behind you.

That brings up a good question. Say a person was getting pulled over by an unmarked car in an area where they don't feel comfortable pulling over for a car that they can't clearly tell is a police car. How would you reccomend that person proceeds in that situation? How could you proceed to a safe area without completely pissing off the officer behind you?

I don't know what is "proper" but here is what GC told me a few years ago when there was an impersonator lurking around Lake Overholser ...

Drive within the speed limit to a lit location where there are other people. If you still have doubts, ask for a commission card and a supervisor. If the officer (no matter how pissed he might be) doesn't immediately radio for a supervisor, lock yourself in your car and call 911 on your cell phone. Then call me.

I realize that I might have a "leg up" in this situation, but it sounds like good advice even if you don't have a JBT in your pocket.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each situation is different. There is no way to give advice on this, as I have dealt with this a hundred times, in a hundred different ways. About all I can say is use what common sense you have, and realize that the whole "fake cop" thing is pretty rare.

What do you think about slowing down, putting on the flashers to let the officer know that you know he's back there, and then proceeding to the nearest "safe" place???

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only real issue with the trooper in the video is not him helping with a traffic stop or even coming out quick and armed. Its the fact that he failed to identify himself immediately. If he had of just yelled, "Mass State Police, shut down the bike." or something to that effect on exiting the vehicle, he would have avoided almost all of the negative reaction.

And to further shield himself he would have really been best off coming out with a badge to go with that gun.

But exiting an unmarked car out of uniform with a weapon drawn and just yelling about "get off the motorcyle"... unacceptable.

And to be fair, if you watch the full length video, this guy brought this situation upon himself (the police stop, not the court run for filming the officers). He was speeding, swerving thru traffic and riding extremely stupidly (I think he popped a wheelie at one point). He must share some blame for this stop being so aggressive.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You know, I usually agree with you, but fake cops are more common now than they used to be and if you get the one who is not the real deal, well "it doesn't happen very often" is gonna be small consolation.

I would rather risk the irritation of a real officer and wind up in front of a judge explaining myself than try to fight off some power-hungry wannabe who just wants to throw his weight around.

Mike Tyson, I am not.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I usually agree with you, but fake cops are more common now than they used to be and if you get the one who is not the real deal, well "it doesn't happen very often" is gonna be small consolation.

I would rather risk the irritation of a real officer and wind up in front of a judge explaining myself than try to fight off some power-hungry wannabe who just wants to throw his weight around.

Mike Tyson, I am not.

I disagree. I dealt with a few back around 2004, have not heard of one anywhere local in at least two years. I think, if anything, they are less common, but more widely reported. I do agree, however, that it only takes once.

BB, I must ask, what do you do if the officer you demand calls his supervisor, is the super? Been there, done that.

The advice to maintain speed, and drive to a safe place isnt the best, in my opinion. If you absolutely do not feel right, slow down, do something that would tend to make the officer know you aren't ignoring him. Flashers are probably your best bet. Stop at the FIRST place you feel safe. Driving a few miles is not a good plan.

Furthermore, I can see this being an issue in the county, or a rural area. If you are in town, however, I wouldn't advise driving to wherever you want to be stopped. We make decisions on where to stop folks for a reason, its not your place, or right, to choose the place.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My only real issue with the trooper in the video is not him helping with a traffic stop or even coming out quick and armed. Its the fact that he failed to identify himself immediately. If he had of just yelled, "Mass State Police, shut down the bike." or something to that effect on exiting the vehicle, he would have avoided almost all of the negative reaction.

And to further shield himself he would have really been best off coming out with a badge to go with that gun.

But exiting an unmarked car out of uniform with a weapon drawn and just yelling about "get off the motorcyle"... unacceptable.

And to be fair, if you watch the full length video, this guy brought this situation upon himself (the police stop, not the court run for filming the officers). He was speeding, swerving thru traffic and riding extremely stupidly (I think he popped a wheelie at one point). He must share some blame for this stop being so aggressive.

So, you believe speeding on a motorcycle warrants a possible gun fight? LOL

And this is not about the motorcycle speeding. It's about an abuse of power, plain and simple. And in that regard the motorcyclist shares absolutely none of the blame.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree. I dealt with a few back around 2004, have not heard of one anywhere local in at least two years. I think, if anything, they are less common, but more widely reported. I do agree, however, that it only takes once.

BB, I must ask, what do you do if the officer you demand calls his supervisor, is the super? Been there, done that.

The advice to maintain speed, and drive to a safe place isnt the best, in my opinion. If you absolutely do not feel right, slow down, do something that would tend to make the officer know you aren't ignoring him. Flashers are probably your best bet. Stop at the FIRST place you feel safe. Driving a few miles is not a good plan.

Furthermore, I can see this being an issue in the county, or a rural area. If you are in town, however, I wouldn't advise driving to wherever you want to be stopped. We make decisions on where to stop folks for a reason, its not your place, or right, to choose the place.

I agee with letting the officer know somehow that you are not ignoring him. Staying within the speed limit or 10 miles below would do that I would think.

And I am not buying the "what if he is the super" argument either. EVERYBODY answers to somebody higher up.

You know, they never did catch that impersonator who was raping women over around the lake (in my neighborhood). Wasn't that long ago they caught some goober in Shawnee with a car that looked more official than my husbands. Hell, there was have even been guys impersonating military and LEO at actual crime scenes and accidents (Weber Falls comes to mind).

I just cannot see advising someone to ignore their gut feeling if something doesn't feel or look right. I am not advising anybody to run. I didn't say "drive to where ever you want to" I said "drive to a well-lit populated place". If I need to add "Don't go past well-lit populated places til you get to one you want" well then that person IS a dumb-ass and gets what they have coming.

And I am very comfortable dealing with the consequences of my actions should I ever find myself in what has got to be an uncomfortable situation. However, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that a lot of my comfort level comes from the fact that I have a LEO husband.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you believe speeding on a motorcycle warrants a possible gun fight? LOL

And this is not about the motorcycle speeding. It's about an abuse of power, plain and simple. And in that regard the motorcyclist shares absolutely none of the blame.

Yeah, the whole point was how ridiculous it was they brought a case against the guy just because he videotaped himself getting pulled over. Especially since they tried to convict him using a wiretapping law, IIRC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom