What causes trailers to swing out of control?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense!

Do you remember what the tow vehicle was? Was the vehicle tracking straight?
It was an older lifted F250. The section of highway was 3 lanes and I was not directly behind him, so I couldn’t see if his truck was crab walking or anything like that. He slammed on his brakes and got it back under control relatively quickly.

The other one went way out of control! It was a heavily loaded single axle utility trailer. And it was kinda junky.. Possibly home made.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all the instances I’ve seen where the trailer started weaving, the trailer was too big or loaded too heavy for the tow vehicle. Off the top of my head, most wrecks I’ve seen caused by out of control trailers were being pulled by a Tahoe or Suburban.
Any short wheel base vehicle can get squirrelly quickly with a poorly distributed load.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always had cars with hitches and some had very short wheel bases.
I found out decades ago too much weight towards the rear of the trailer will cause that wagging.

One friend had a large boat on a factory trailer that came with the boat that just would not stop the wagging and even adding dual axles did not solve it.

Moving the boat forward on the trailer solved it.
All my vehicles got heavier springs on the rear that were used for trailer pulling.

Lots of tongue weight.
I have built over 30 trailers and all of them got the axle set much farther back than your store bought trailers.

One customer that bought a trailer from me said he did not like the axle that far back.
He had not bought it yet though.
I told him I use my trailers and find many have the axle too far forward and pull terrible.

I told him I will give you all your money back if you do not like the way it pulls.
He called me a couple days later and said it was the best pulling trailer he ever owned no dog walking at all.

It is not that the trailer is light.
002.JPG
I just built a very light trailer that you can pick up off the ground by yourself but it does not dog walk.
I pulled it empty to only 60 mph, swerved back and forth and it stuck to the ground like glue and tracked perfectly.
Axle is way far back on this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom