What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get a lot of these too. I'm short, Hispanic, heavily tattooed, and I basically don't fit any of the stereotypical "good wife" expectations. Good thing for me that my bf doesn't expect me too... in fact, today at the Norman gun show the lady behind the particular ammo table were at mentioned that "women don't like +P ammo" and he said "Uh, yes she does!". Does that mean I'm not a woman then? :bah:

My Mosin-Nagant is on order. I'll let you know when I hit the target... because I WILL. :rollingla

What I accomplished today... found a holster for my BUG (.38 snub) at the Norman show, and trying to decide where I'm going to put the rhubarb and the asparagus. I've ordered maypop, which I should have ordered last month and I forgot about it (bad me!). Then I have homework to do, so there most likely won't be much in the way of prepping tonight (did I mention that I'm not a fan of statistics?).

That's too funny about the gun show. You gotta wonder why vendors do that kind of stuff. All it does is cost them a sale. :scratch:

We need to go shooting together one of these days. :) I'm wanting to start a bed of asparagus also.

Stats? Blah!! lol :(

GC and I are going on Jackie Dill's wildcrafting walk Saturday. I'm hoping to get some wild onion and garlic to plant at home. :woot: I've always been of the opinion that wild stuff will overwinter better than storebought stuff, so I'm looking forward to the chance to put it to the test.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to start a bed of asparagus also.

Asparagus is easy to grow if one prepares the beds correctly. Its labor intensive to put them in the first time but the beds will grow for many years. Our first bed has been producing for 20 years now. I keep expanding it every year. Currently, its 4' wide, and 60' long. We get about 30 lbs of crop every growing season. As some die off, new ones are put in their place, so it just keeps going. By the end of june, when the picking season is over, we have had enough to stock to freezer to make it to the next season.
My suggestion: look long and hard for those selling 3 year old crowns. You can start harvesting the next season. 1 year old crowns require waiting a year, and then only picking for 2 weeks.

BTW its a salt water marsh plant. I use rock salt sprinkled on the beds to keep the weeds out. Organic.

faerielady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW its a salt water marsh plant. I use rock salt sprinkled on the beds to keep the weeds out. Organic.

I was reading a Mother Earth News article about planting asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, and horseradish in long term beds (of course, have to dig up the horseradish every year). I'm wondering if the salt would be a problem for the other plants. I need to look that up relatively soon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading a Mother Earth News article about planting asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, and horseradish in long term beds (of course, have to dig up the horseradish every year). I'm wondering if the salt would be a problem for the other plants. I need to look that up relatively soon.

My soil is a a sandy loam. In 20 years of growing a garden in the same spot the Rocksalt has worked well

I've said it before, and will beat the drum again.
Get a soil sample! I not only farm 300 acres, but plant a huge garden.
Getting your soil correct will double or triple your harvest.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My soil is a a sandy loam. In 20 years of growing a garden in the same spot the Rocksalt has worked well

I've said it before, and will beat the drum again.
Get a soil sample!
I not only farm 300 acres, but plant a huge garden.
Getting your soil correct will double or triple your harvest.

I'm with you ... The soil is what feeds the plants that feed you and your livestock. All that stuff is just a big circle ... take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom