What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fencing off an acre by the pond to keep the cows away. Wife found the DEAL OF THE CENTURY at Atwood's Saturday. Acquired 3 plum, 3 peach, 3 pear and 3 apple trees. 8' tall $1 each. Be having me some gooooooooooooooooood jelly in 2 years.

You need to start a farmer's market on the corner in a couple of years! :D

I'm starting to play around with fermenting. I have a scoby ordered (for kombucha) and I am fixing to start yet ANOTHER sourdough starter. THIS one is gonna work though! I think I know what I've been doing wrong all this time now ... We'll see, I guess ...

I'm working on moving the girls (chickens) into a bigger pen and taming the feral cat that's been hanging around the rabbits and chickens. I'd really like to get her caught and spayed before she "blesses" me with a buttload of kittens ... :lookaroun

Also, poor GC is gonna HAVE to help me get some more shelves together and put up in the garage -- after he tills up the back yard I guess ... :nolike: :D

And finally, I'm working on my "grab and go" tub that I talked about in thread I started. Once I get it all together I'll post a list of everything I decided to go with and see what you guys think ...

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought two candle lanterns and a big box of 9-hour candles. I placed this order while watching the "Blackout" show. When that family burned down their house because of their candles, I decided that that would be a bad thing for my house. This little lantern seems much safer for those no-electricity situations.

Uco-Original-Candle-Lantern-Black-Next-Adventure.jpg

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday, I made a trip to Sam's. I got a bunch of stuff to extend my normal on hand supply. Extra TP, rice, beans, bananas, etc. I also went to the dollar store to improve my medical kit... I also dehydrated 3# of hamburger rocks. Today I read through all the pages of this post while dehydrating 3#'s of bananas & tomorrow I'll do the 10# of potatoes I bought...

BadgeBunny, I think a few pages back you were talking about dehydrating Kiwi... DO IT! It is delicious! I break mine up & put it in our homemade chex mix along with the bananas and apples.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday, I made a trip to Sam's. I got a bunch of stuff to extend my normal on hand supply. Extra TP, rice, beans, bananas, etc. I also went to the dollar store to improve my medical kit... I also dehydrated 3# of hamburger rocks. Today I read through all the pages of this post while dehydrating 3#'s of bananas & tomorrow I'll do the 10# of potatoes I bought...

BadgeBunny, I think a few pages back you were talking about dehydrating Kiwi... DO IT! It is delicious! I break mine up & put it in our homemade chex mix along with the bananas and apples.

How do you do your bananas?? I've never done any that turned out right ... Subprep has had the same problem (I think I remember her mentioning bananas as her dehydrating nemesis :naughty:) ... Do you do anything special to the kiwi?? Or just peel, slice and dry??

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.coleman.com/product/12-in-1-scissors/2000008526#.Un6gcKNMEb0

I just bought a pair of these from wally world for $4. Haven't gotten to test em out yet but the scissor function works good and they're perdy dang sharp

Go test it!! GC is a sucker for this kind of stuff (yes, he saw that same one)!! He said "Hey, honey, look at this!!" I gave him "the Look" and he put it back like a poor kid who'd just been told he couldn't have yet another toy ... :nolike: We already have a ton of cheap flashlights, knives, and sporks ... What am I gonna do?? :anyone:

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, bananas are kind of tricky... My advice is to buy them GREEN, then slice them as thin as possible (I use a paring knife & try not to go cross-eyed). I put them on the dehydrator plain. About halfway through, I "unstick" them from the trays & turn them over.

For the kiwi, peel & slice a little thicker because they dehydrate down a LOT. I will forewarn you, the flavor is intensified when you dehydrate them, but I like it.

How do you do your bananas?? I've never done any that turned out right ... Subprep has had the same problem (I think I remember her mentioning bananas as her dehydrating nemesis :naughty:) ... Do you do anything special to the kiwi?? Or just peel, slice and dry??

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes bananas are my arch nemesis in the dehydrator! so you are saying to dehydrate them while they are green? I have a mandolin slicer because im kinda freaky about liking all my stuff to be sliced the same when i'm dehydrating LOL

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Asian store. By plantains, not bananas. They should look like they are ready for the compost pile when they're ripe. (black) Tough skin, cut'em open, peel, slice, dehydrate. Easy, and tasty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom