What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, bananas are kind of tricky... My advice is to buy them GREEN, then slice them as thin as possible (I use a paring knife & try not to go cross-eyed). I put them on the dehydrator plain. About halfway through, I "unstick" them from the trays & turn them over.

For the kiwi, peel & slice a little thicker because they dehydrate down a LOT. I will forewarn you, the flavor is intensified when you dehydrate them, but I like it.

OK ... I'll give it a try ... (the kiwis) I dunno about the bananas. I'm kinda tired of fooling with them. Especially when I can catch them on sale and buy them already done up ... (Yeah, I'm lazy that way ... :D)

Go to Asian store. By plantains, not bananas. They should look like they are ready for the compost pile when they're ripe. (black) Tough skin, cut'em open, peel, slice, dehydrate. Easy, and tasty.

Ohhhh ... That sounds like it might work better ... I'll get some of them also. Thanks!!

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes bananas are my arch nemesis in the dehydrator! so you are saying to dehydrate them while they are green? I have a mandolin slicer because im kinda freaky about liking all my stuff to be sliced the same when i'm dehydrating LOL

Yeah, I dehydrate them while they are still green. It makes them firmer, so they are easier to slice. I don't have a mandolin slicer, but I would guess that would work about the same, as long as you can get them thin enough. I took some pictures, but I'm not sure they will upload here.. I'll try...

i40.tinypic.com_1zxts7s.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_wbfknb.jpg

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like all you need is some peanut butter on those banana chips n you'd be set!!!!

UPDATE!!!!! I've been using the coleman scissors I posted the link for a few days ago. Imo they should cost about $20 instead of $4. Ive used em for everything from strikin flint to light back pack reapir and can opening. And yes they make great scissors too. Only thing I havent tested is the fish scaler but all in do time

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I dehydrate them while they are still green. It makes them firmer, so they are easier to slice. I don't have a mandolin slicer, but I would guess that would work about the same, as long as you can get them thin enough. I took some pictures, but I'm not sure they will upload here.. I'll try...

i40.tinypic.com_1zxts7s.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_wbfknb.jpg

Dang, you have some serious slicing skillz. I got my mandolin at harbor freight tools for like 2$ LOL I love it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like all you need is some peanut butter on those banana chips n you'd be set!!!!

UPDATE!!!!! I've been using the coleman scissors I posted the link for a few days ago. Imo they should cost about $20 instead of $4. Ive used em for everything from strikin flint to light back pack reapir and can opening. And yes they make great scissors too. Only thing I havent tested is the fish scaler but all in do time

Sigh ... I guess we are gonna "need" a couple pairs ... :D Thanks for the review!!

Dang, you have some serious slicing skillz. I got my mandolin at harbor freight tools for like 2$ LOL I love it.

Man ... No kidding on the slicing skillz ... WoW!!

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man ... No kidding on the slicing skillz ... WoW!!

Aww, thanks ladies! Those banana chips are pretty awesome. I ate the handful after taking the picture. Peanut butter would have been good on them.

I finished dehydrating my 10# of potatoes and started on my apples, but I sliced them too thin & they were all stuck to the dehydrator :( I put a mandolin slicer on my christmas list. Tomorrow, I'll do the rest of the apples... I spent the day sanitizing my kitchen & cleaning the oven. I'm not sure that's a prep, but it needed to be done. I did make about 50 "fire starters" today, so I guess that works as a prep. I loaded/unloaded half a cord of firewood on Monday.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*"I spent the day sanitizing my kitchen & cleaning the oven. I'm not sure that's a prep, but it needed to be done. I did make about 50 "fire starters" today, so I guess that works as a prep. I loaded/unloaded half a cord of firewood on Monday."

*sniffles* Mam, that just about brings a tear to my eye.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*"I spent the day sanitizing my kitchen & cleaning the oven. I'm not sure that's a prep, but it needed to be done. I did make about 50 "fire starters" today, so I guess that works as a prep. I loaded/unloaded half a cord of firewood on Monday."

It does mine to, but I'm sure for a different reason ... I'm such a slacker ... :( But that does remind me ... I need to get some more vinegar. The oven is a bit ... ahem ... "overdue" :teehee: Probably wouldn't hurt to take a look in the cabinets and do some re-arranging either ... GC goes back to work today. I need to get after it ... I'm such a slacker when he's home ... :naughty:
:rollingla

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Haha, I might be just a TAD crazy about cleanliness and pretty old-fashioned about my role as a wife, mother & homemaker. I will say that my shoulder is still paying for the firewood. Probably shouldn't have played the independent card on that one...

BadgeBunny, my oven was looking pretty rough! I never get stuff done when dearest hubby is home. I joke that I send him to work just so I can get my stuff done. LOL.

My apples are STILL waiting to get dehydrated. I think I've put them off all week! I was cleaning out the freezer yesterday & found some beef that I decided needed to be turned into jerky, so I let it marinate overnight & it is on the dehydrator today. Maybe that's a good enough excuse to get a second dehydrator?

Latest posts

Top Bottom