What glass for my new rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So today I ordered my model 10 FLCP-SR. Now I have a SMALL budget for glass at the moment. I thought I was sold on a nikon P-308 sitting in a nikon m223 base (I'm shooting sub 500 yards so I don't need 20 MOA that the m308 base has). The package would total 266 to my door A smidgen north of my 250$ budget. Then I found some great deals on Bushnell AR-308. Still using the m223 mount (61.29 shipped). It would be 231.28. I had the Bushnell 1-4x24 on a mvp patrol a while back and was very pleased with it. Also the nikon is a 4-12x40 where as the Bushnell is 4.5-18x40.

I'm starting to lean more towards the Bushnell. Any constructive inputs would be greatly appreciated. Or is there better glass that I'm not thinking of? Better mount? While still trying for a $250 budget.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Vortex Viper series.
Not quite on the level as the Razor, but a fraction of the cost. Don't cheap out on the crossfire series, the glass just isn't that great from the ones I've looked through.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you on the viper, the 6.5-20X50 PA is where I would love to be, unfortunately it blows past my budget in a big way. I need to be sending rounds down range for around $250. Later when the wife says I can have more of the money I don't have I will buy better glass. But for now 250 is all I have to go with.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are your objectives or goals to accomplish with this rifle? It will make a difference on what scope to recommend.

For now putting little holes in paper from far away. Will be benched or prone with bipod out to max of 500 yards. I'm not a sniper and know it, but I would like to be able to have a set it and forget it scope with accurate BDC for ranging shots.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may get beat for this but here is what I use on many of my rifles. Please do not let the price fool you, lots of folks that shoot my guns end up buying one of these. Fire away!!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...0mm-tactical-rifle-scope-matte-black?a=990001

Your killing me smalls. It would open a lot more money for ammo, but I don't know if I'm ready to cheap out THAT much. I'm glad they work for you, but I think I would be to paranoid every time I took it out.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For now putting little holes in paper from far away. Will be benched or prone with bipod out to max of 500 yards. I'm not a sniper and know it, but I would like to be able to have a set it and forget it scope with accurate BDC for ranging shots.
Putting little holes in paper out to 500 yards should be pretty easy with any 3-9×40. If you want to put those little holes in little groups, you will need a little more power and a thinner reticle. Since you are wanting a BDC style reticle under the $250 price point, might as well get the Nikon 223 BDC 600.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Putting little holes in paper out to 500 yards should be pretty easy with any 3-9×40. If you want to put those little holes in little groups, you will need a little more power and a thinner reticle. Since you are wanting a BDC style reticle under the $250 price point, might as well get the Nikon 223 BDC 600.

The smaller the group the better. Being a 308 rifle why would I put the 223 bdc 600? I can get the 308 bdc 800 designed for the caliber at the same price point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom