What is a good group with your bow and at what distance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea RidgeHunter I am the ripe old age of 24. I have pulled back alot higher but I want to be able to draw in awkward positions and be able to hold it if needed. I feel I should practice at what I hunt with and if I can't practice there its to high. I figure I shoot around 6-10 groups of 5 or so arrows when I shoot. I usually try to get two groups on each pin each time I shoot. It may not be my bum shoulder as much as it is I am just pushing it to far.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i shoot about twice a week and usually i will start at 50 yards. ill shoot about 3 or 4 groups with three arrows, then ill move back to 60 yards and shoot about 4 or 5 groups there with 3 arrows. after that i move back up to 20 or 30 yards and shoot a few groups. i like to start off at the longer distances so i have to get focused right off the bat, then when i get up to the closer ranges its a lot easier. i shoot at different spots on the target though at 20 and 30 yards or im replacing fletches and knocks way to often. at the beginning of the season last year i managed to get my first robin hood shot. its cool to do and its something to brag about, but i had to replace two arrows that i had just bought, lol. i focus on open hand grip and anchor point and try to get them both exactly the same every shot. thats worked out well for me.

attachment.php

Last edited:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, Robin Hoodin one is cool... but spending $30 to replace arrows is not.

I don't even attempt anything over 40 yards. If I can't get it in that close, I will wait for another chance another time. Most of my shots are 15-25 yards, and that's what I feel most comfortable shooting. Anything over that, with an Oklahoma wind, isn't worth wounding a trophy.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archer MOA is
2"@20
3"@30
4"@40
Etc
Anything outside of that is unacceptable IMO. If i can't do it consistently I won't take that shot distance at an animal. I typically practice out to 70-80 yards and limit my hunting range to about 50yrds.
Anyway I've spent the last few weeks building a new bow and spent Saturday tuning. It's not quit there yet but it's getting there. I got it set out to 60 yards before I put it up... Here was my 60 yrd group. Not to bad for my first time shooting this bow but not quit acceptable yet.
[Broken External Image]

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes! All good Points... Ha. No really this is a Great forum. I like to hit 2-3 inch at 40 yds. Practice points for the broadhead you use... I use rage 100gr nOw. Previously used G-5 fixEd... Seamed they corkscrewed at 40 yds... Could be the the fletching I've heard though. Lost alot of "practice " tips though... Anyways... Get the arrow in the Kill Zone
O

Latest posts

Top Bottom