What is the best powder for 45 ACP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
universal clays is my .45 powder. I use unique in 9mm for budget and damn difficult (impossible) to double charge. Oh, and it shoots good.

bboswell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had moderate results with HP-38/231. Better results with Universal Clays, Clays and N320. Depends on bullet material. Although with 45, less deviation between lead, moly and jacketed due to lower pressure. UC under a BBI Molly bullet always gave me great results. Clays under Montana Gold also hard to beat.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Universal for most moderate loads in 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 acp and 45 colt. In almost every recipe that calls for Unique, I substitute Universal. It's burn rate is very close to Unique's and it burns cleaner in my guns.

Last edited:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might be a powder that you could share with another load. Some powders work well in several different cartridges. That would be what I would look for.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using the Universal Clays in my 45 and 40, and will start using it in the 9 this weekend ow I have the dies in hand. Plus its in stock the few places I've been to lately.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A load I like is the J&K 230gr round nose and 3.8gr of Clays @ 1.25 OAL. Out of a 5" 1911 I am getting 807 ft/sec (185 PF) with very good consistency and accuracy.

I believe Hodgdon's is trying to differentiate Clay's to Universal, International, and just Clay's. Too much confusion with Clay's in everything.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the clays thing. I never tried it, but last time I was in Sports world they had some. I went to get some on Friday. They had international clays, but not regular clays. I just about bought the international thinking it was just clays, but I did not get any till I got it figured out. Which I did once I got home and got online. That was about all the powder they had. They had like two more powders, but it sure looks like the buzzards pick the place clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom