What muzzleloader bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pellets suck. Inconsistent in any gun I've ever used. I should saboted bullets with 100 grains of black powder. I can hit a golf ball at 100 yards. Also went away from the 209 primers. Too much punch. They will blow your bullet off the seat before the powder gets ignited. I use Variflame adapters which look like a 209 but use small pistol primers.

Allout,
Have you changed out the hammer spring on your Rwmington? I had one screw me last year. They get weak over time. Get a Wolff replacement.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also went away from the 209 primers. Too much punch. They will blow your bullet off the seat before the powder gets ignited. I use Variflame adapters which look like a 209 but use small pistol primers.

I had the same issues with the actual shotshell primer. When I changed to a 209 primer made specificly for muzzleloaders it resolved the issue.

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use the plain old T/C shockwaves 250 grain with 90 grains of Blackhorn 209 and a standard Winchester 209 shotgun primer. I get good consistent groups at 100 yards.It has worked great on every deer I have shot, with that setup.

headhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went from Triple 7 to Black Horn 209. Was using 110 gr Triple 7with a 300 gr Hornandy XPT and now using 100 gr Black Horn with good success. No swabbing between shots and good groups at 100 and 200 yards. Also had good lick with Speer Deep Curl 300 gr for the 454 Casull in a black sabot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom