Muzzleloader optic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyGator

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 .50cal muzzleloader with iron sights. I got the draw for a blackpowder hunt up at Beaver WMA and want to prep for that hunt. My youngest daughter is in the party hunt and will be hunting along side me and my son. I’d like to put an optic on the rifle but have very limited knowledge as to what is a good choice and what is worth the money. Any advice on loads, optics, WMA tips, or anything else is appreciated. You guys always seem to help, Thanks

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my 3-9x40 or 50 mm scopes for hunting just fine.
Most of my rifles have Nikon Redfield or Vortex.

I do have a couple older cheaper scopes that work very well and have not lost zero for over 15 years.
Tasco and a Centerpoint.
But I have had other Tasco and Centerpoint scopes fail and every low end Bushnell has failed me.

Early Muzzloader season is almost a gimme if you can sit still and wait.
Movement will give you away quickly.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 700ml for a long time. It always shot really well 100 grains of pyrodex (loose and pellets) and 250gr T/C shockwaves. It also shot power belts and hornady xtp’s really well too- all with 90-100gr pyrodex. Hopefully, your gun is converted to use 209 primers- if it’s not, I’d do that. It makes a substantial difference in reliability. But the 700ml takes the same bases/rings as a 700 short action- so accessories should be easy to come by and not too expensive if you decide to mount a scope. And I agree with swampratt, 3-9x40 is a perfectly good muzzleloader scope. As are the brands he mentioned. I like Nikon the best of the three, and used Nikons are pretty easily found for $100ish.

Good luck on your hunt!

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you hunt a lot with the rifle, get good glass. Leupold has good glass. if your just going to use it once every couple of years. Walmart 3-9 will work. What's your price on optic.

I have a rem 700 black power in 50 cal. I use 100gr triple 7 and hornady bullets. Optic is Cabela's brand 3-9 muzzle loader optic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom