What scope for AR-10 20inch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for recomendations on scope for AR-10 with 20 inch stainless barrel. Looking for good deals. Will want to reach out to at least 600 yards.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at a Nikon 6-24X50 BDC Matte. What do you guys think?

What are you wanting to do at up to 600yds (and what budget do you have)? If its going to be used to regularly hit targets at various distances, I'd get a Mil-dot and just work out a specific round's dope and use that. Bushnell's Elite 3200/4200 are good, SuperSniper makes a good fixed-power scope in the same category.

600yds is a pretty hard thing to do with .223 (due to the wind), so if you're primarily going to be under say 300yds, then you might not need anything fancy at all.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you wanting to do at up to 600yds (and what budget do you have)? If its going to be used to regularly hit targets at various distances, I'd get a Mil-dot and just work out a specific round's dope and use that. Bushnell's Elite 3200/4200 are good, SuperSniper makes a good fixed-power scope in the same category.

600yds is a pretty hard thing to do with .223 (due to the wind), so if you're primarily going to be under say 300yds, then you might not need anything fancy at all.

AR-10 308

Yes, I'm wanting to hit at various differences, the Nikon I was looking at has bullet drop on it which would due for drop not drift

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the Mil-dot or atleast some sort of mildot. If you want to be effective out to 600 it's a lifesaver and in my eyes a must. What price range are you looking at? That's were you need to start first, before I give you some ideas, just to many pieces of glass out there to start listing. Also what is you purpose or role this rifle going to be? Target, hunting, tactical ext..

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at around $600. It will be for target mostly, but want to hit man size targets out to 600 yards effectively. I will see how I like the 20inch but might end up getting it cut to 18 to lighten it up. Already ordered 1inch mount so it has to be 1inch scope.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the Mil-dot or atleast some sort of mildot. If you want to be effective out to 600 it's a lifesaver and in my eyes a must. What price range are you looking at? That's were you need to start first, before I give you some ideas, just to many pieces of glass out there to start listing. Also what is you purpose or role this rifle going to be? Target, hunting, tactical ext..

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and 600 can be done with a 223. Remember 77-80grain projectiles make a huge differance in wind, not saying that wind doesn't effect them by any means. My Mk12 clone does 600 very nicely with 77gr nosler custom comp's and Varget or TAC.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR-10 308

Yes, I'm wanting to hit at various differences, the Nikon I was looking at has bullet drop on it which would due for drop not drift

Oh crap, I totally missed the "10" on the end of your AR :D Sorry man, yeah that rifle should be able to do MOA (or close to it) at 600yds with ease (and good ammo).

I'm not a fan of the BDC scopes Nikon makes. You'll eventually find yourself trying to remember which of the BDC circles is slightly low, and which is slightly high (because none will be exact enough to do any real good in trying to shoot with any precision).

Nikon makes good optics, but I'm just not a fan of that reticle - maybe you'll love it, but from what it sounds like, you'll need something a little more measurable than the BDC reticle.

Looking at around $600. It will be for target mostly, but want to hit man size targets out to 600 yards effectively. I will see how I like the 20inch but might end up getting it cut to 18 to lighten it up. Already ordered 1inch mount so it has to be 1inch scope.

This is going to limit you pretty harshly. I hate to say it, but you might want to sell that mount (or cancel it if you've already ordered it). There are not a lot of good reticle choices on quality scopes with 1" tubes. Depending on the mount you ordered, you might be able to get different sized rings for it (which one did you order?).

Oh and 600 can be done with a 223. Remember 77-80grain projectiles make a huge differance in wind, not saying that wind doesn't effect them by any means. My Mk12 clone does 600 very nicely with 77gr nosler custom comp's and Varget or TAC.

Oh I understand it can be done, but it takes more skill and patience than a lot of folks have and its a hard thing to start out on when learning to shoot at those distances (especially if you're in an open area with Oklahoma blasting wind gusts).

If you're just learning and you've got 2 MOA accuracy at 600yds, you could be up to 12" off of center of the target. Just barely reading the wind wrong and being another minute or two off could mean a full 18-24" off of center.

Its easy to make a mistake that puts you a minute off on a rifle that barely shoots MOA at that range anyways - add to it the ease of mis-reading wind at that distance and you have a frustrated first-time long-range shooter.

I respect all you light-weight bullet shooters out there at those distances - maybe one day, I'll break out the AR at those distances and see what this LaRue Stealth can really do, but for now, I like nice, easy, lazy .308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom